Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Use sims in a contract, on another phone.

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
Oh god. Okay, forget I mentioned the iPhone 5, using it as an example.

Different example, I have a iPhone 3GS, with a 2 year contract, if I take the sim out and use it in my new iPhone 4S, will everything still work okay?

Thanks,

W

Last edited:

Carl G35c

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
If/when the iPhone 5 comes out. Do you think the Sim will be different? my question is because I have a 2 year contract with Orange, with the iPhone 4S. I would buy the iPhone 5 and then just swap the sim and sell the iPhone 4S. Is that a possible thing to do?

Thanks,

W

yesnomaybe.

Comment

ah123

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2011
If/when the iPhone 5 comes out. Do you think the Sim will be different? my question is because I have a 2 year contract with Orange, with the iPhone 4S. I would buy the iPhone 5 and then just swap the sim and sell the iPhone 4S. Is that a possible thing to do?

Thanks,

W

How is anyone here supposed to know whether it will be possible? Why not just wait until the 5 (or whatever it's called) is announced, then figure it out from there?

Comment

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
? ? ? ?​

Asking a question on When this or That about Apple products is a waste of time. No one knows, since Apple does not pre-anounce their products.

Comment

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
Oh god. Okay, forget I mentioned the iPhone 5, using it as an example. Silly way to explain it. (doh)

Different example, I have a iPhone 3GS, with a 2 year contract, if I take the sim out and use it in my new iPhone 4S, will everything still work okay?

I've changed the subject, as I forgot how much attention the iPhone 5 debate brings.
Thanks

Comment

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Oh god. Okay, forget I mentioned the iPhone 5, using it as an example. Silly way to explain it. (doh)

Thanks
It won't fit.
3GS uses a standard size SIM, 4/4S use a micro-SIM.
From a contract perspective, it will work just fine.
You just need to get a new micro-SIM from your carrier.
They will typically provide this without any changes to your contract.

Comment

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

I've changed the subject, as I forgot how much attention the iPhone 5 debate brings.
Thanks

It should work fine besides the fact that it won't actually fit into the 4s. Why switch sims? Just use the one that comes with the phone.

Comment

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
It won't fit.
3GS uses a standard size SIM, 4/4S use a micro-SIM.
From a contract perspective, it will work just fine.
You just need to get a new micro-SIM from your carrier.
They will typically provide this without any changes to your contract.

So IF the iPhone 5 was to use the same sim as a iPhone 4S, it would work. I say IF, I don't know, I know no one else knows, etc. but IF.

Oh god, I made this way more complicated than it needed to be. Thanks all.

Comment

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
So IF the iPhone 5 was to use the same sim as a iPhone 4S, it would work. I say IF, I don't know, I know no one else knows, etc. but IF.

Thanks. :)
Yep... it will work.
I doubt any new SIM size will be introduced with the next iPhone.
I know Apple has been looking at creating a SIM-less GSM phone, but the concept doesn't have a lot of industry/consumer support.

Comment

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
Yep... it will work.
I doubt any new SIM size will be introduced with the next iPhone.
I know Apple has been looking at creating a SIM-less GSM phone, but the concept doesn't have a lot of industry/consumer support.

Okay, brilliant. Thanks for the information. I made this thread so complicated, for such a simple question. :eek:

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.