Use the Signal Strength DIAGNOSTIC Tool. Time to Confirm Silently-Fixed iPhone 4's

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by whocaresit, Jul 20, 2010.

1. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

One thing for certain, we cannot judge the signal strength from the bars. I know 4.0.1 is out.

Reports have been surfacing that Apple is silently releasing fixed version into the market (you probably heard about this already)

The only way we begin to confirm things for real is by Using the Signal Strength tool. We should no longer be depending of word of mouth.

UPDATE:
    'Strength' app has been released on cydia.

How are the results with the normal signal vs with the death grip/touch on the iPhone 4. Seeing any degradation?

'Strength' app has been released on cydia.

How are the results with the normal signal vs with the death grip/touch on the iPhone 4. Seeing any degradation?

[​IMG]

Tutorial Video

2. samcraig macrumors P6

and they fixed the design problem how? And you don't think that an iFixit teardown would showcase any change in the future? And if it's a software fix (ha) then it would be released to everyone...

In other words. No.

PS - why not link to an article instead of a picture that explodes the screen?

3. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

For one the signal strength tool won't really tell anything unless you have a base to compare against. Since you don't know what the signal strength should be in your area and are just starting out now, there is no sure fire way to know what the signal strength in your area is normally or should be. You have no control base information and signal strength will vary depending on location, tower connected to, weather condition, battery life, etc.
    I also find it hard to believe that the fix would be secretly released. If there is an internal change to the device, it would/should require FCC retesting and certification as the device would be in violation of FCC laws otherwise (they have strict standards for frequency, cross talk, spurious emissions, etc.

4. whocaresit thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pretty simple. Check the signal strength without touching the antenna part vs with a finger touching the antenna part.

FIXED models: the signal strength should be pretty much unaffected. Where as in the Affected iPhone 4's, the signal will plummet.

5. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Not simple enough. Study wave form propagation and then come back and tell me otherwise. Move just a few degrees off kilter and the signal drops. Is that due to you touching the device or because the tower signal fluctuated, humidity changed, network traffic was high and the tower amps rolled down to alleviate traffic and drop distant customers, did more customers just connect?? All of these variables play an essential part in reception, transmission, signal strength. Did your power amplifier just change and essentially cause the tower to recalculate the necessary power to reach with sufficient strength to overcome the SWR and the SNR??? These variables are why manufactures and the FCC build large faraday cages to test signal and verify everything is working correctly and not just download this app (which would make their lives that much simpler if it really worked that way). A testing roompple could have saved the large sums of money they spent on their room and just downloaded this app. :)

6. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

7. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

You wrote a ton, but the OP is somewhat correct. The only way to consistently make the phone drop -20dB abruptly is to put your finger over the antenna seam. If a new phone doesn't drop the signal after multiple attempts in areas where another phone (manufactured earlier) consistently gave you headaches, then something significant changed -- if this can be repeated with multiple devices next to multiple "affected" devices.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

Maybe you missed the first post - which states that the device would need re-certification from the FCC and that wouldn't be easy to "hide"

9. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Yes, but this error cannot be consistently reproduced, hence all the hoopla over it. If everyone could reproduce it every time, then it would be that simple. Like I say too many variables as some with the original release day devices can't reproduce it. So if one received such a device as a replacement, then how exactly would that prove a fix had been initiated. I have 2 iPhones, one has severe proximity sensor issues and the other is "barely" affected. Could I then deduce that a fix was instituted as one device exhibits different behavior than the other??? All I am trying to say is that there is more involved in this than can be revealed by a simple app being run.

10. whocaresit thread starter macrumors 6502a

That applies only for an antenna overhaul. A coating / passive workaround fix doesn't require FCC Reinspection.

11. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Not true, anything that would modify the originally certified transmission path and characteristics would require an addendum and recert otherwise the fix could take the device outside of the operating spectrum and cause interference and spurious spectrum radiation. It could also change the SAR ratings required on every device. I don't see Apple opening this can of worms just to change the attenuation characteristics of a device. If it was found out they modified the device, didn't have it certified, and that changed the characteristics, they would be facing huge fines and lawsuits (or both depending on the effects of the change). They have enough problem with the current situation.
    If they do make such a change you will probably see the new device around the October time frame that was noted in the recent press conference, as that would give plenty of time for retooling of the factory and to pass FCC recert.

12. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I'm guessing cydia

13. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that I thought there was a rogue hardware revision. I said he was "somewhat" correct. The issue is very easy to reproduce in the right conditions.

14. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Still no one has sneered just how we are supposed to get this app. I can't even jailbreak my iPhone 4 yet to my knowledge.

15. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

16. whocaresit thread starter macrumors 6502a

What does it look like?

17. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I was in SBSettings or preferences (or whatever it's called, when I swipe the top bar, and then tap More) and it has an option to show the 3G signal strength numerically... can't that just be used?

18. whocaresit thread starter macrumors 6502a

But this one is more "visual" to those who aren't very familiar with dbM rating

19. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Oh ok, I might try and get it.

20. whocaresit thread starter macrumors 6502a

21. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I don't see the big deal... I've used this app, I drop from -66 dBm to -86 or -91 dBm, when holding my iPhone 3GS naturally (depending on how far I hold it down the bottom, the more I cover the bottom the more the signal drops). That's a loss of 20 to 25 dBm!

I've never noticed this before until everyone has brought this up about the iPhone 4, it's just stupid, unless of course the iPhone 4 will drop 40 dBm when held... which is bad.

22. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Post 4.0.1 I have video of my phone going from 5 bars to No Service when held naked. You do the math but IIRC that is a minimum 45dBm drop.

23. diabolic macrumors 68000

What results are you getting with your iPhone 4?

24. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

That's a problem if it's dropping that amount. It shouldn't be, Anandtech reports an average drop of 20 dBm.