Use volume buttons for camera shutter?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Black Diesel, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Black Diesel macrumors member

Can someone please show me how to configure the iPhone 4s to use the volume buttons for the camera shutter release? Using the button on the screen is really lame and doesn't allow for natural one-hand-hold shooting.

2. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

3. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Open camera app, press Volume Up button for shutter. No configuration needed.

4. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

No configuration necessary. As long as you have iOS 5.x, pressing the volume up button should trigger the shutter when in the native Camera app (the volume down button does nothing here).

5. diane143 macrumors 6502a

I don't remember having to set up anything. Hold the camera with the buttons on top and use the one to the right (up-volume).

I find with my Otterbox Commuter I have to press it pretty hard though :(

6. davidra macrumors 6502

OK, I'm trying to remember the details, BUT:

if you have a Mac, what was suggested will work just fine. If you intend to view the pics on a PC, they will be upside down when taken with the volume button on top. Seems to me I had to flip it upside down and put the button on the bottom to have it display upright on a PC.

7. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

It will show upside down in any app that doesn't read/honor the EXIF orientation. I haven't checked but I believe Chrome/FF will render it properly on the PC. IE/Outlook/etc show incorrectly iirc.

8. davidra macrumors 6502

On my PC, FF, Photoshop Elements, Windows Explorer and any Windows-based photo apps will have them upside down...unless you put the volume button on the bottom.

9. Black Diesel thread starter macrumors member

Shoot, I forgot to mention I'm shooting with hipstamatic, the volume button doesn't work with this app....are there any other apps very similar to hipstamatic that will allow me to use the volume button?

10. outphase macrumors 65816

11. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

Similar how so? Takes square pictures? Has lots of filter effects? Has social networking built in?

If it's just the filter effects, Pixlromatic is free and does that. And I just checked that the volume up controls the shutter.

Regards,
    Tom

12. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Camera+ definitely has it. Snapseed might have it.