Used 2011 15" MBP or New 13" Non Retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wulbert, May 11, 2013.

1. wulbert macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm having diffuculty deciding which laptop to buy. I wan't a good screen and a machine that is fsat with music, photos, home movies and streaming movies. I have £1,000 GBP to spend and have decided on a MBP.

I have the chance of a used, early 201, 15" MBP with 2.0Ghz quad core, Hi-Res display with anti glare screen and a 256GB SSD drive (fitted by Apple).
    This would be tha same price as a brand new 13" MBP (non retina).
    (I'm avoiding the Retina model because I don't like to buy 1st generation machines; cars, cameras...whatever. They seem bug prone)

I can't decide which of the above machines would be better. I'm drawn to the quad core and SSD of the used machine but I know that any two year old machine will perhaps be out-classed by a brand new model, even one of "lower" spec.

Any one got a view on which would be the better machine? (leaving aside any warranties or worries about buying used)

Thank you,
    Wul

2. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

It depends, do you need the processing power of the quad core (15" - 4 cores, 8 threads vs 13" - 2 cores, 4 thread) and the graphics processing power of 6750/6770m?

IMO, get the 15" unless you really need the portability.

If it was me, I would snap up the 15" without even thinking about it.

3. negativzero macrumors 6502

Definitely the 2011 15inch.
    The hi-res screen is beautiful, even if it isn't retina.

4. wulbert thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replys.
    I suppose I do not really "need" all the processing power at the moment. But I've never wished I had bought a slower computer.
    My hobby is photography and our "family" PC is a 2013, 27"iMac so I've become used to a nice screen and a quick processor.

I also record music and am learning web site design and som eof that stuff can use up processing power.

I only recently realised that the bigger the csreen, the higher the spec, with MBP's. I'm not technical but I love a good image and I hate the spinning beach ball.
    I'm starting a new business so the MBP is for that, to give me a good tool to use, keep my records on and develop my web site.

5. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Geekbench says the 15" has around 35% more power. The 15" has Sandy Bridge with Intel HD 3000, which doesn't matter so much since it has a dGPU which is even faster than the HD 4000.

Go 15" with an SSD as a bonus.

6. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

As someone who owned that model before, I would definitely go with the 15" MBP. Even though it is older, it is significantly more powerful and will be noticeably faster than the 13" MBP. Having an SSD speeds everything up tremendously. The graphics card on that model is the AMD Radeon HD 6490M, which is also slightly faster than the Intel HD 4000. Having the high-res screen is another huge plus. Basically, I'd forgot the 13" MBP. Unless you absolutely need that form factor, I'd go with the 15" MBP and not look back.

7. wulbert thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok,

I went and bought the used 15", 2Ghz, Quad Core, with Hi-Res anti glare display and the 256GB SSD.
    I'm very pleased I did, it seems very quick and faster than I expected for a two year old machine. The display is gorgeous and I can't wait to load some of my photographs onto it.
    An unexpected bonus is that it is lighter than I thought. Also very quiet, almost silent I think.
    Had it plugged into diagnostics at the local Genius bar and it passed with flying colours.. The battery life is showing 98.7% lifespan remaining and the case and display are mint condition. All in original packaging with the Snow Leopard discs etc.
    I'm just installing Mountain Lion on it, which is what the previous owner was running. If it slows it down I'll go back to Snow leopard.

Thanks for the advice folks, I'm well pleased.
    Wul