Used Joomla? Can you tell me what you think of the site??

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by xappeal, Oct 25, 2007.

1. xappeal macrumors regular

Ok, before anyone runs for the hills it's not an iweb website.

It is my first attemp at using Joomla, so I'd really like feedback from anyone who has used it before.

Cheers

www.nxtclassroom.com

2. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

Well the good news is it looks like you installed it correctly!

The bad news is, it looks like the default install with a header graphic. Might want to work on your customization a tad.

3. xappeal thread starter macrumors regular

I've had a go at fixing 'making it pretty'. Did it work?

4. eetu macrumors member

Nice start! But there are some problems.

The header did not load for me. The news feeds column is way too long. It requires a lot of scrolling. You might want to change the favourites icon too.

I've been using Joomla for a while. You can see my site at: www.freemagazine.fi

5. xappeal thread starter macrumors regular

6. eetu macrumors member

You need to replace favicon.ico.

Browse around the official joomla forum. There's a lot of good help there.

7. mcstraycat macrumors newbie

I'm also working on a Joomla site. Your's looks great.
    The one thing about Joomla, it allows someone with relatively little know how (finger pointed directly at me), to manipulate the content and layout with relative ease. But all the customization has to be farmed out to those who have the know how.
    I'm presently looking for someone who I could pay by the hour to assist me in improving the aesthetics of my Joomla site. If you or anyone else reading this has an interest, drop me a message.

my site: www.eatlikeanative.com

8. davegreb macrumors newbie

davegreb

Hi,

I would like to create a website with joomla. Is the install fairly straightforward?

I've installed MAMP 1.7 on my imac (leopard)

The layout looks good, is that straight out from the install, or did you apply some kind of template?

If i want to add some pages generated from mysql, how do I keep the formatting the same in joomla?

Thanks
    Dave

9. tomoisyourgod macrumors regular

I've been playing with Joomla for over a year now... I'll show off my latest site on Friday if anyone's interested :)

I was asking the same questions as you all were.

favicon.ico - create a gif in photoshop you want to replace. Upload it, then rename it using an FTP program to filename.ico

To edit look & feel, always template_css.css file.

Get the firefox web dev toolbar, you can find all the div IDs.

Get a book on PHP for beginners as well, you'll gain a better understanding. Also if your knowledge isn't great on CSS - get a book on that as well.

Joomla has a great community, and they will help you no end with what ever help you need. Any problems that do occur, 99% of the time has happened to someone else, so just do a forum search with the error.

I'll be glad to help if you need it, drop me a PM on this.

10. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Hi Tom if you're still there,

I've just uploaded it onto my business server and was going to play around with it in the "backround" (not sure what you call running tests on a sandbox "behind" your current live site, but with no links to it).

Anyway, it's sitting there in the public html folder but I can't seem to find the right url to activate the install. What should I be looking for?

11. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You realize the thread is a year old right?

12. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Sorry, I just searched Joomla install and that's what came up. But when I just browsed today's headings I found that horror thread that undercut my confidence a bit. But hey? Better to learn today and be prepared.

However, the good news is I finally got Joomla installed just 5 minutes ago. Just checking back in to edit that other post. :D