Used the "root" account and now my account seems to be gone...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Enlite, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Enlite macrumors newbie

Hi, so basically what happened was, I was trying to change the new itunes icon to the older one. I went into root and everything to try and change it, and when I tried to exit root I wasn't sure if I was really out of it or not.
    Anyways, I restart my computer, and it literally boots up to like almost as if it were reset to factory. The only difference is, I still have my applications and everything. But I've lost all my documents, bookmarks, music, pictures, etc.

I feel as if I'm possibly somehow in root and that, that's the only reason why things are like this... or so I'm hoping thats the case.

Sorry if any of this sounds incredibly stupid. All I wanted was to change my itunes icon.. haha..

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What is shown when you click the :apple: icon under "Log Out ..."?

Have you looked into the Macintosh HD / Users / folder and seen what folders are inside? Is your Home folder still there?
    Have you logged out of the current account and seen if your account is offered in the login window?

Btw, a better and mre descriptive thread title would be: Used the "root" account and now my account seems to be gone...

To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

3. Enlite thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright thanks. Anyways, I checked and it still seems as if my account is there with everything in it. I just can't seem to figure out how to access it once again. It seems to go into another one all the time now since last night and I have no clue as to how to change everything back.