Used to have ios7, got new phone w/ iOS 6, will itunes force me to upgrade to iOS 7?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by anewfoundsin, Sep 23, 2013.

1. anewfoundsin macrumors member

This morning I got a refurbished iPhone 5 w/ios 6 installed. My old iPhone had ios7 installed. My new phone has none of my apps installed and the Apple person told me to connect to my laptop to restore my apps. Now I am afraid of doing this because will it force me to update to ios7? I want all my apps back on my phone but I do not want ios6 again.

2. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Huh? You don't want iOS 7 to piggyback onto your refurb along with your apps? But you say that you don't want to keep iOS 6?

Which is it? :confused:

3. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

If you are wanting to stay on iOS 6, you will not be able to restore the backup from your previous phone, as that backup will only be compatible with iOS 7.

So if you want iOS 6 you have to set up as new, but if you want iOS 7 there is absolutely no problem and you can just restore it from the backup of your previous device via iCloud.

4. RobbyIdol macrumors regular

I'm glad I found this thread, as I just purchased a new iPhone 4S with iOS 6 currently installed. The phone is brand new, never used, and I just got nervous wondering if when I take it to Verizon for activation on my phone line, will they (or the phone itself) force me to update to iOS 7.

I really hope not, since the reason I bought the phone was a last ditch effort to get back onto iOS 6 again. I'll sell my current 4S phone for roughly the same price I bought the new one, so while the process may seem cooky to some, it's an even trade for me and gets me back to my preferred iOS 6! :D

That is, I HOPE it will. If Apple or Verizon forces me to set up the new phone as iOS 7, I will be upset.

(Side Note: I don't mind setting up my phone as new. I can reload all of my apps and music through iTunes manually, and I'm willing to manually enter all my contacts again if it means I am able to keep running iOS 6! Can someone confirm that I can indeed keep iOS 6 if I set the new phone up for the first time?)

5. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

You can keep it on iOS 6, but it will prompt you to update to iOS 7. If you have iCloud on then you contacts will sync back to your phone.