Used to work at sporting goods store in California

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Dec 25, 2008.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

We sold guns, too (long) and had strict rules. What are the rules in your state re: handguns in mall stores, silencers, repeating guns, carrying them, etc?

California no silencers, no repeating guns at my store at least, no handguns though main competitor had hand guns two miles away.

Though I am a law student, I have really no ideas on gun laws in their totality and how they differ in other states. :)

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

And in California you need a permit. Found in New Hampshire you don't. I learn something new each day.

3. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

When I buy a gun, it usually isn't from a sporting goods store

4. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Big 5 had some great deals gun people would tell me. I am not into guns at all, so they promoted me, so they say, to "shoes". Gun people were nice usually, even the 'bangers, shoe customers were a pill! ... especially husbands whose wives forced shoes onto them or little kids who wanted the right color, the trendy color or design. :)

5. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

That's got to be a gang banger's dream guns and shoes

6. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

In Arkansas you can have what you want, including silencers, automatic firearms, and other Class III toys after a bit of paperwork, fees, and checks.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

LMFAO
    But I will correct you ... it is "cheap shoes".

8. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I've never been there. Do they sell pants that slide half way down the a$$ and cheap gold chains too?

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not that I am aware of. I have not been in there in years.

10. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Don't you know that's out of style? They've got to be ALL THE WAY off the rear now...

11. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Shoes are a skater's wet dream!

Sure maybe the guns, but let me tell you about shoes.

I had just applied to law school a few years ago, and this was a second job to help me pay a few expenses through that hard time. What was very ironic, was that I saw that guys and gals loved their shoes and it was the lions share of Big 5's take every day. That was my introduction to shoes.

A couple of years later, my wife and I started a skateboard business and all that liability law training helped, but the "lions share" in skateboarding was, and is, clothes, and a part of that, billions worldwide, is skater/skater type shoes.

So when I left that job for school I thought I would never have to see another freaking shoe again. Now my wife and I are thinking of expanding our clothing business to maybe include, yes, shoes.

Skateboard shoes like DC, Osiris, Globe, Nike, and Vans are a gigantic business, even with many of the buyers not even intending on stepping foot on a board.

What is funny is how some skaters, who at the park my have the worst clothes, old ripped clothes, cheap haircuts, and an overall lack of fashion, are anal about their shoes!

It's like I got cursed with shoe fashion nazis for life. ;)

12. RamblinWreck macrumors regular

RamblinWreck

The California gun laws (esp the in-car rules) drive me nuts. Coming from the deep south, it was a huge adjustment.

I don't think their laws exist to protect the general population from gun owners as much as they do to deter people from buying guns in general.

13. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I know a lot of younger skaters, and some older ones, too, are going for the diamond earrings look of top pro Ryan Sheckler.

Last year, Skulls and black and white color motifs were the rage.

Now, skaters are going for the bold, primary colors looks of the early to mid 80s during the Vans and Vision Wear domination of the skater market.

Personally, I like the more loose fitting Echo and Levis for skating, but it does not lend well to the manual street style fad of street skating, perhaps the biggest American sport, where the tight Krew, Tony Hawk, and tighter cut Levis rule the day. You can look down and see your feet on the deck which is key for kickflips, heelflips, dolphinflips, and other tricks. The guy who invented most flatland manual skateboard tricks, in the 80s, had these huge parachute, rapper pants, and his name Rodney Mullen. He's to manual street tricks as Phelps is to Olympic swimming.

Attached Files:

14. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

I don't know about other places, but at least here, where we have a large 'gangsta' population, the big thing is wearing what looks like pantyhose on your head. Not sure what the goal is,but it looks like you cut the leg of a pair of pantyhose and tied it on your noggin....:rolleyes:

15. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

OMG, I put this small jpeg of the great Rodney Mullen in his parachute pants he wore for decades.

But for any sports people, and especially for skating fans, check out the guy who rides the deck "on edge" in this website's opening intro. That's Rodney Mullen, around age 40 or so. Man, he still has it. The first few seconds shows his product, but then you can see the skate master at work. :)

www.tensortrucks.com

These guys, indirectly, helped bring out the gangsta look into the skate population which fueled the clothing rage and the "shoe" rage attached to it. The urban street style skating, while dodging local anti-skateboarding laws and cops, caught on like wildfire in the inner cities all across America. No longer was the sport relegated to rich kids who could afford to skate in empty swimming pools.

16. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Sounds like you have a permissive state. We had a California Supreme Court Chief Justice who repealed the "Use a gun, go to jail" law, and she was kicked off the bench, which is an extremely rare happening.

How are Arkansas skateboarding laws? see my above posts. :)

17. hexonxonx macrumors 601

The one and only gun I ever purchased was at a sporting goods store. It was Ruger .22 semi automatic. Never got to even fire it once. I ended up pawning it I think the next year when I needed some cash.

Here in Denver, I think there is a waiting period to buy. They have to do a background check. Back when I bought that gun, there wasn't.

18. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

There's no waiting period in CO, you pass the check and you buy your gun. In the state of CO you're allowed to carry without a license if your weapon is visible. CCW permits are easy to obtain here too!

I find it funny that all of the tree hugging, gun hating hippies have a higher crime rate in CA with all of their intrusive gun laws that take away a citizen's right to protect their own family and self - while in CO with our laxed gun laws have a much lower crime rate.

Hmmmmmm.........

19. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

20. garnaby macrumors newbie

Its scary just reading this thread me being from jolly old England. It ceases to amaze me that you can actually just go out and buy a gun. If you were caught with a gun (Finding is one is almost impossible) here you would get an arse kicking and maybe jail. Am i right in saying you can have a gun at aged 17? And drink alcohol at 21? id rather deal with a group of drunk kids than a group of kids carrying guns.

I think farmers should be allowed them but anyone else nope.

21. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You've gotta' be $hi#%n' me!:eek: Marriage may be an institution for the blind; while ignorance is an institution for the unconscious.

I've attached the Crime Statistics for California (30th) and Colorado (28th) and the most recent CRS reflect that Colorado has a Higher Crime Index...:eek:

Attached Files:

22. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

i thought silencers was illegal no matter what. no civilian can carry a silencer. only if your a federal agent, like FBI or whatever. not even cops can carry them.. oh wait. SWAT maybe. but still

23. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Many Americans, including myself, agree with you. We are shouted down, unfortunately, by those with an inexplicably strong attachment to their guns. And if atrocities like Columbine are not enough to change the gun laws here, I can't imagine what would.

24. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Pick a state.

No they don't.

25. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Vermont has never had any law against openly wearing a handgun or carrying it concealed. Alaska has recently passed legislation allowing open carry. Arizona, Wyoming and Virginia allow open carry; some others in parts of the state but some cities have prohibitions.

Full-auto, suppressors (silencers) and sawn-off shotguns are legal under federal law, after paying a $200 transfer tax and doing the BATFE paperwork--plus approval by local law enforcement. Some states, however do not allow the possession. However, since 1986, no newly-made full-auto weapons can be owned by people not in law enforcement. There are approximately 300,000 full-auto firearms in private ownership in the U.S.

A couple of dozen states have enacted concealed-carry permit systems in the last dozen or so years in response to citizen lobbying. The recent increase in new applications is overwhelming the staff of the law enforcement agencies. Training-school enrolment applications have jumped from booking six months in advance to some 18 months.

California, Illinois and New York City have carry-permit systems for handguns, but they're commonly not available to the common folks. Only to VIPS, movie stars and friends of politicians. Oh, and politicians. Sens. Feinstein and Boxer, in California, e.g., who regularly speak out against private ownership of firearms.

Firearms sales in the U.S., per the BATFE website, averaged five million per year from 1993 to 2003 (the last time I looked). It is reported that the FBI's NICS inquiries were around 7.8 million through October of this year. It is common discussion around the firearms websites as to the "feeding frenzy" in gunstores and at gunshows, nationwide, since the election.

As with Clinton's "Assault Weapons Ban", Obama's election has been a boon to the firearms industry as a whole, as people vote with their billfolds. It's the only growth sector during this recession, apparently. :)

'Rat