used wrong CC with not enough avail credit, what happens now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ScKcBc, Sep 14, 2012.

1. ScKcBc macrumors regular

Being exhausted I used the wrong CC with not enough avail credit to cover my new phone. What will happen now? Will I lose my pre order?

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

They won't charge it until is ships. Go make a payment ASAP!

3. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Right now my account was only hit with a $1 charge. I would call Apple ASAP tomorrow and let them know that you need to change payment method.

Better yet, you will probably be able to do so online yourself once your order is no longer in the processing state. I wouldn't worry too much. You got the order in which I think matters the most. :p

4. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

What website did you order from? Go schedule a payment on your credit card ASAP as in right now!

5. iWallace26 macrumors regular

I ordered from the apple app and my card was charged the full amount already

6. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

Is it pending or finalized? Usually they don't charge you till they ship.

7. iWallace26 macrumors regular

Pending does it go away?

8. ScKcBc thread starter macrumors regular

Oh thats right, it doesnt bill until it ships. I already made a payment on the CC to cover the difference. I was worried it was going to charge it today. Or try and authorize the full amount today.

I ordered on verizons site.

9. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

I am not sure, when I bought my MBA it was pending till it shipped.

Yeah I only have a $1 pending charge on my CC from Verizon.

10. noteple macrumors 65816

Get some sleep.

You can call customer service and change your method of payment
    when they open during normal business hours.

If you are really flat broke they will even let you cancel.

11. ScKcBc thread starter macrumors regular

LOL, i'm not broke, just used wrong card.

going back to sleep now:eek:

12. ScKcBc thread starter macrumors regular

called verizon, they said it wont charge until it ships. I haven't gotten any e-mails saying the charge didn't go through or anything and i scheduled a payment that will hit on my car tonight, so I'm thinking I'm good to go!

13. jpcarro macrumors 6502

jpcarro

Placed my order at 3:11am EST using Apple Store app. CC company left me voice-mail at 9:00am saying they denied charge. I called them and they apologized and said a lot of fraud from Apple.com. They didn't first try to contact me to see if the charge was valid, they just denied...WTF! I was ticked.

Anyway, they set their system to accept the charge. I went to my order status at Apple (once I got thru) and saw a msg about the charge denial and an option to retry or use an alternate CC. I retried and it went through. Delivery estimate still Sept 21st, but holding my breath.

14. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

I had your exact issue. Had an e-mail from Apple saying my card was declined and the option to change payment method. Put in a different card (had to ask to borrow a parent's and then pay them back, how embarassing) and then everything was fine. It said my new payment method was accepted, and my order is now sitting at "Processing" with the same 9/21 date.

Even more embarassing b/c my total for 2 64GB iPhone 5's for me and my wife came to $1498 plus tax, and my card's limit was around $50 short... I'm selling my unlocked 4S's on eBay so once they sell I'll probably only owe somewhere between $300-500, but explaining all of that to a parent at 7am and asking to use their card just for the pre-auth was a little tough. Lucky I have very understanding parents. ;-)

I made a thread about this earlier asking if anyone knew for certain how the queue handles such situations. My guess/hope is that for a certain period of time (24 hrs?) it holds your spot in the queue to give you another chance to enter a working card. Just curious what the time window is or if maybe there is some other procedure I'm not aware of.

If anyone knows from experience how this can impact your delivery date, etc., I am also curious to find out.

15. ScKcBc thread starter macrumors regular

I think apple and ATT charges right away but verizon doesn't. Or maybe Apple/Att authorize the full amount? I still have no cancellations and my order still says in progress. And I have no authorizations on my card either.

16. iPhonePlaya, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

iPhonePlaya macrumors regular

same thing happened to me, i got an email this morning i called with a different card and the apple rep said delivery still on for 9/21

i was freaking out, but luckily it all worked out

i believe apple charged my account the full amount at the time i preordered and it came back as declined because apparently my bank thought it was a fraudulent charge

17. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Broke???? Who needs money when you got credit? :p

18. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

The full charge to your credit will happen at shipment. A payment before the 21st will be fine.

19. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Apple on debit cards authorises the full amount, on credit cards they just do a £1 charge.

20. Laimbeersux macrumors 6502

As long as you got the order in there in time, you should be fine. I ordered using my debit card around 3 minutes after orders opened and got my order in for 9/21 delivery. About 30 minutes later, I decided to check on the order to see if the status had changed in the apple store app on the phone, where I ordered it, since I had only received the initial email. When I got into the order I noticed a red flag indicating that Apple was unable to authorize my card. I immediately switched it to a credit card, and my delivery date didn't change. I called after I got up this morning to add Applecare+ to my order and specifically asked if my delivery date had changed, which it hadn't. Turns out my card was not declined due to insufficient funds, but it was unable to be authorized because my bank had flagged the purchase as suspicious, something I had no idea about last night.