Useful?: Hidden iPhone Privacy Settings

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacSumo, Oct 5, 2014.

1. MacSumo macrumors regular

Have the hidden privacy settings helped your iphone/ios8 experience (like maps, cellular strength, reminders, etc?)

source:
    http://www.clear-coat.com/blog/iphone-privacy-settings/

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Compass Calibration from that article is not accurate. That setting can still be off and the device will still be able to tell which way is north. Easy test: Turn it off and open Compass. It'll point north.

3. cynics macrumors G4

Yes. And your list (I didnt click the link) doesn't include "Location Based Alerts".

Location Based Alerts has to be on for geo tracking so apps like reminders can actually remind you when you arrive or leave a location. I use location based reminders quite often and I couldn't get them to work in iOS 8. It was driving me nuts then I found that setting off and turning it on fixed it.

Also the compass calibration I found certain apps that use augmented reality require compass location services to be on.

I used to micro manage location services with iOS 6 and even iOS 7 a bit but now with iOS 8 I just leave everything on in system services. And most apps unless there is absolutely no need for them to know my location.

4. MacSumo thread starter macrumors regular

Do you have ALL the location settings turned on? Aside from location based alerts, have the obscure settings like wifi-networking improved your iphone experience?

5. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I have most of those turned off. Battery life and all that. :)

:apple:

6. doboy macrumors 68020

I can use Frequent Locations as my alibi since it keeps track of my work hours :)