Useful/Pointless Siri commands

VivaLaFisica

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Personally,

Useful: Set event for date and time

Pointless: Asking for a game's score

Edit: I've never been to any sport game in my life. I play soccer recreationally, but don't keep up with teams. The only sport I've played competitively is golf; even then I don't keep up with the pro's scores and such. I've no interest in using this Siri function.

Last edited:

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
How is asking for a games score pointless ? I used it this weekend while mowing the grass I had my headphones on and activated Siri thru those to find out the lions score. Very nice feature if you ask me.

stevo505

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
The score command is not pointless, at least not to me. About 5 times over the past few days, my parents or friends have wanted to know the score of a game or when who our team was set to play. I think it's a really handy feature. The useless commands are ones like the pod bay doors, etc. They're funny, but not necessary :p

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Back in the day we would call Verizon for the time on a land line. Verizon stopped that feature cause they said most people would look on their mobile phones or computers. :eek:

VivaLaFisica

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
How is asking for a games score pointless ? I used it this weekend while mowing the grass I had my headphones on and activated Siri thru those to find out the lions score. Very nice feature if you ask me.
I'm sure it's useful for some. I edited the OP.

----------

When you say pointless, do you mean it doesn't work well or you don't see the reason to do that?
I've no motive for using it.

----------

Is there a comprehensive list of Siri commands (new and old) out there?
If you find one, let me know, please.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
May not be Siri exactly but personally I'm enjoying the talk-to-text.

I get text messages all day and find it's much easier and faster to use than typing each reply.

I don't always use it (if others are around, etc). I'm a fairly fast on the iOS keyboard but find it easier to just talk lol :)

fordhamr

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
I know this isnt adding to the discussion but doesnt this below in the iOS forum?

I think its awesome to have siri remind me to do something when I get "home" or when I "leave work". Great feature!

Dont know what she was like before the iOS6 but I am impressed.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I don't know that a feature is useless because I don't use it, especially with something like that, I mean, is it useless that google has a calculator built into their search feature? I'm sure tons don't' use it. Also, if you never ask for a sports score, how is the ability to do so useless? It's like saying that this rock I have keeps bears away because I haven't seen a bear in my house.

VivaLaFisica

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Sorry. I didn't think I'd have to explain for the sake of the peanut gallery using inductive arguments.

"Things that you (don't) have use for in Siri"

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
Coming from a 4, with an hour-long commute, I was happy to see that I could start podcasts with voice commands. :)
I wish Siri was smart enough to read my library back to me though.
I.e. "What albums do I have by Liars?"
"Sorry, I can't blah blah blah"
And yet "Play podcast Basic Brewing Radio" is responded with "Playing episode January Fifth Two Thousand Eight Brewing As A Monk" or something equally verbose.
You'd think the capability would be there, and it would be super useful.
I hate trying to request an album by an artist that I haven't synced, while there is another album by the same artist I would be just as glad to hear.

bigjnyc

macrumors 603
Apr 10, 2008
For me it's extremely useful so far. I asked for football scores several times on Sunday while driving to and back from a wedding (who gets married on a sunday during football season anyways?)

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
Just because you don't like sports doesn't make this pointless at all. This is an incredible command. Asking Siri what the score is is a hell of a lot easier than navigating to my scores app.

ckurt25

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Grand Rapids, MI
Except that the Lions broke my heart over the weekend.

wacomme

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2009
Yes. I used it this weekend to find the score for the Denver Broncos game while on a bike ride - very useful!

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
One thing that surprised me is that Siri can't turn wifi on or off, or bluetooth. Seems like something they might have thought of.

I like being able to dictate text messages, though, and turn my alarm off in one simple step. I'm new to Siri because I just upgraded from the 4, so I'm enjoying exploring.

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
For me it's extremely useful so far. I asked for football scores several times on Sunday while driving to and back from a wedding (who gets married on a sunday during football season anyways?)
haha. You could say the same about Saturdays & college football, at least here in the south. My sister is getting married in October and her fiance had to make sure the date was not a huge rival game or something. :p