Users of Samsung Galaxy S2 or anyone for that matter

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LoganT, Oct 2, 2011.

1. LoganT macrumors 68020

Sorry for not talking about the iPhone. I'm trying to distract myself before Tuesday, and I have iPhone speculation fatigue.

I've been thinking about getting a Samsung Galaxy S2, though most likely I will pick up whatever Apple's next iPhone is. I just have a few questions.

Even though the SGS2 is on paper very fast, I hear from some people it is actually somewhat slow. Could this be true?

Can I play my .m4a AAC files?

Probably a stupid question: It says it has 16 GBs of internal memory with expandable storage "up to 32 GB". Does this mean I can insert a 32 GB microSD card for a total storage of 48 GBs? Or does this mean I can only insert a 16 GB card, and the total allowed gigabytes is 32?

I noticed the resolution is lower than the iPhone 4, yet has a bigger screen. How does the screen do with text?

Thanks.

2. Rodimus Prime, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

yes it can play m4a music files. It can also play more video files types than the iOS as long as it does not have any of Apple DRM on it. I find it great because I can put Xvid on my phone and watch them with out having to convert everything to iOS friendly. Plus I can just do the drag and drop them in. Double twist sees them and I play them from there. Mind you I only have about 3 gigs of free space right now to handle videos so it can only handle so much.

As for SD card I do not know. A quick way for you to check is look at your SD card slot. If there is a card in there then you will max out at 32 gigs. If there is no card in there then you have 16 gigs internal and can put a 32 gig SD card in there for a total of 48 gigs.

The txt really it is close enough. It is really a good screen and you have 12 sub pixels per pixel. I find the larger screen is nicer than 3.5 in. I do not care how sharp it is if the txt is two tiny to read I can not read it.

edit:
    According to wiki you can max out at 48 gigs
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S_II\

It more you have 11 gigs internal and then what ever your external SD card is. The missing 4-5 gigs is taking up by the phone OS and what the phone needs.

3. walie macrumors 6502a

its also been confirmed that 64GB microSD cards will work with the GS2

4. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I'm currently using a 64GB card. It works very well.

I partitioned it to my liking and found that it handles encrypted files just like I expected. That is one strong suit in Androids DNA. It's exactly like a computers file system.

That's why I use such a high capacity card. My SGS2 is an excellent alternative to my laptop since I can keep so many files on it. Syncing is fast & easy as well.

Never having to use a cable to my computer like Apple demands, is very liberating.

My SGS2 is a true stand alone device just like any of my computers. That's the beauty of Android. With all due respect, it's also Apples worst nightmare. If it wasn't most people that bash Android would not be in fear. They wouldn't start these threads exclaiming the dreadful Android experience they had, and how happy they are in the Closed Apple Ecosytem.

I am very happy that Apple is smart enough to live in fear of Android. It's keeps the price of Apple products from going sky high.

After all, we all agree that Jobs is highly intelligent. He would have never started a war with Google if he was confident in Apples ability to out maneuver them. If Apple is such an amazing innovator it wouldn't matter who copied them because Apple would always be one step ahead.

Oh well it's the "Post Jobs Era" now if you believe that he's going to stop playing CEO despite the installation of Cook in that slot.

I do hope that Jobs stays home and leaves Tim Cook alone to do what he does best. However I must say I'll be shocked if Jobs can break his addiction to being the center of attention.

5. dialed1 macrumors 6502

dialed1

6. war eagle macrumors 6502a

It has a few hiccups here and there but only on when scrolling from pages on the home.screen.heavy on Widgets

7. JeffMorse macrumors regular

Sounds like you have your answers already, but just wanted to say I have the phone and I'm very happy with it.