Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Run Other Workout for the time and/or calories you want to get credit for. This works for Activity and Exercise streaks. Nothing you can do about Stand other than wear it 12 hours a day.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Can't cheat the Stand tracking, but you can do workouts (and if you're, um, honorable, you'd actually work out instead of simply running a Workout while you're sitting around).

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
I just like the Daily Move Streak achievement, which requires you to hit your caloric set goal, which is user specific based off of the parameters you set.

So for me I guess the Move Ring and Exercise Ring are the two I aim for everyday.

In theory unless your Move ring goal is ridiculously high, if you achieve one, you should achieve the other...but it never hurts to challenge yourself.

My current goal is to get the "Longest Move Streak" achievement to 365.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
The issue I have with the move / activity goals is they take no account of rest days: if you exercise regularly, the move goal needs to be set high to account for that, but then if you have a rest day you miss it.

I run for at least 1/2 hour most days but will take a rest day once every 10 days or so which means my streak never lasts more than that

I recently got a Garmin to better track my runs and the activity goal on that is on a weekly rather than daily basis, which makes much more sense to me

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
The issue I have with the move / activity goals is they take no account of rest days: if you exercise regularly, the move goal needs to be set high to account for that, but then if you have a rest day you miss it.

I run for at least 1/2 hour most days but will take a rest day once every 10 days or so which means my streak never lasts more than that

I recently got a Garmin to better track my runs and the activity goal on that is on a weekly rather than daily basis, which makes much more sense to me

There are some apps that can write activity directly to the Activity app, which will count for exercise minutes with regard to the Exercise Ring on rest days, in turn still giving you credit. The Human app does this.

It is different than Apple's method as some don't take into account heart rate while walking. Apple's way gives you credit as long as long as you hit a certain HR.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015

Yup. I never tried going for a long streak achievement, either, because sticking with my plan gave me two recovery days a week. Yoga and foam rolling doesn't usually burn six hundred calories. ;)

Reactions: Phil A.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Run Other Workout for the time and/or calories you want to get credit for.
My roommates border collies get all excited when they see me groaning at my watch later in the evenings, as they know they're probably going to get an unexpected walk (so I can close the Move or Exercise rings). I feel bad I can't take my older beagle, but he moves too slow for me to get any credit. On nights where it's crappy weather outside, I'll walk up and down the stairs inside until the rings close...

As for Stand... grrrr That's caused me to give up sleeping in on Sundays in order to hit that goal. :)

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
There are some apps that can write activity directly to the Activity app, which will count for exercise minutes with regard to the Exercise Ring on rest days, in turn still giving you credit. The Human app does this.

It is different than Apple's method as some don't take into account heart rate while walking. Apple's way gives you credit as long as long as you hit a certain HR.

Yeah, Strava does this but Garmin Connect doesn't - it writes the activity but doesn't add any calories as it does that (along with steps and heart rate) at the end of each day, so they get shown in health but ignored on the activity rings

gsucyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014

Thats my problem with it as well. You should be able to go in and set rest days. I train for triathlons, but do take a rest day usually 1 day a week. I get around not meeting the goal by just lowing the daily calorie intake goal for that day. Just have to remember to boost it back up for the next day.

Reactions: CaptMarvel

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
In theory unless your Move ring goal is ridiculously high, if you achieve one, you should achieve the other...but it never hurts to challenge yourself.

Not necessarily. I often manage to fill my Move circle without having any exercise credit at all.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Did you update to Watch OS 3.1.1? I too used to have little to no data in my exercise ring, but now, it seems I am credited a lot more for normal activities than before.

Yes, I have the latest OS, and I still have trouble getting exercise credit. Me and my partner go for a walk, walk side by side at the same pace, and he gets nearly double the exercise credit as I do.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I worked at upscale restaurant for 8 hours and Move Activity is nice to look at. Also Stand activity is bit odd when I stand all day t work but it says I missed few hours that's joke!

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
I worked at upscale restaurant for 8 hours and Move Activity is nice to look at. Also Stand activity is bit odd when I stand all day t work but it says I missed few hours that's joke!
During your next shift, see if you notice your arm position. If it's mostly horizontal, like if you were carrying something all the time (or typing at a computer, even at a standing desk), the watch won't think you were standing.

If you're sitting down, you can fool it into giving Stand credit by dangling your arm downwards. It works in the car, too -- I've done it myself.

For a device to register Stand most accurately, it would have to be on your thigh.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Which Garmin did you get?
I got the Forerunner 235 - after doing a lot of research it seemed to offer the best price / feature balance for what I wanted.
I was a bit concerned that it would look too clunky as it is nowhere near as elegant as the AW, but having had it for nearly a fortnight I really like it and have been wearing it constantly apart from when I'm in the shower (it's water resistant to 5ATM but I use the opportunity to charge it)
I've run every day bar one since I got it and it is absolutely brilliant as a running Watch - it's much easier to control with the large buttons (particularly with gloves on in the cold weather), the screen is large and easy to read and you can customise the in activity screens to show you exactly the information you are interested in
On the negative side, there's no question it isn't as elegant as the AW and I'm keeping my AW for more formal occasions, but apart from that, I can't see me wearing my AW again: the Garmin is that good a fit for what I want from a Watch

Here's a picture of it on my wrist (I have very small wrists)

IMG_0331.JPG

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I got the Forerunner 235 - after doing a lot of research it seemed to offer the best price / feature balance for what I wanted.
I was a bit concerned that it would look too clunky as it is nowhere near as elegant as the AW, but having had it for nearly a fortnight I really like it and have been wearing it constantly apart from when I'm in the shower (it's water resistant to 5ATM but I use the opportunity to charge it)
I've run every day bar one since I got it and it is absolutely brilliant as a running Watch - it's much easier to control with the large buttons (particularly with gloves on in the cold weather), the screen is large and easy to read and you can customise the in activity screens to show you exactly the information you are interested in
On the negative side, there's no question it isn't as elegant as the AW and I'm keeping my AW for more formal occasions, but apart from that, I can't see me wearing my AW again: the Garmin is that good a fit for what I want from a Watch

Here's a picture of it on my wrist (I have very small wrists)

View attachment 679337

I'm honestly torn over the question of running watches. I have a Forerunner 225, the predecessor to yours, but some functions are starting to break down. I can't track my daily activity on it anymore (no matter how much I move, the step indicator says zero), but fortunately its core functions related to keeping track of my runs still work. Because I imported it, I can't get it serviced, so I'm starting to wonder whether I should carry my 225 only for days I run and wear a watch on both arms or just deal with the more limited running functions of the Apple Watch.

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
so I'm starting to wonder whether I should carry my 225 only for days I run and wear a watch on both arms or just deal with the more limited running functions of the Apple Watch.
The AW is such a better day-to-day watch than the Garmins (I have the 735XT) that I would just use the Garmin for running and stick with the AW for the rest of the day if you can't make any of the running apps work for you. At some point, the AW apps may improve to the point where you're fine without using the Garmin for day-to-day running.

Ideally, you'd get credit for your Garmin activity without needing to wear the AW, but that seems like a while off.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
During your next shift, see if you notice your arm position. If it's mostly horizontal, like if you were carrying something all the time (or typing at a computer, even at a standing desk), the watch won't think you were standing.

If you're sitting down, you can fool it into giving Stand credit by dangling your arm downwards. It works in the car, too -- I've done it myself.

For a device to register Stand most accurately, it would have to be on your thigh.

I thought when walking or running then AW would think I am standing around. I guess I'm wrong anyway.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
I thought when walking or running then AW would think I am standing around. I guess I'm wrong anyway.
Like I said, it depends on what your arm is doing, not your feet. The watch -- or any wrist-worn gadget -- only really knows whether it's sideways or vertical; it doesn't have any sensors telling it whether you're in a chair or not. It's really more of a "wrist orientation sensor", if you will. A 100% accurate Stand-detecting device would either be strapped to your thigh or attached to your butt.

If you're walking and carrying a cup of coffee in your watch hand (as an example), your wrist would be horizontal just like when you're sitting down.

I mentioned in another thread that when I use a stand-up desk for my computer, my watch doesn't know that I'm standing because my arm position is the same as if I were sitting down at a regular desk. And, even if I'm sitting for hours at a time, I can fool the watch into thinking I'm standing by dropping my hand downwards.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Like I said, it depends on what your arm is doing, not your feet. The watch -- or any wrist-worn gadget -- only really knows whether it's sideways or vertical; it doesn't have any sensors telling it whether you're in a chair or not. It's really more of a "wrist orientation sensor", if you will. A 100% accurate Stand-detecting device would either be strapped to your thigh or attached to your butt.

If you're walking and carrying a cup of coffee in your watch hand (as an example), your wrist would be horizontal just like when you're sitting down.

I mentioned in another thread that when I use a stand-up desk for my computer, my watch doesn't know that I'm standing because my arm position is the same as if I were sitting down at a regular desk. And, even if I'm sitting for hours at a time, I can fool the watch into thinking I'm standing by dropping my hand downwards.

I got it Thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.