Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockandroll556

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
Hey

I'm going to be purchasing a TV to use as a monitor for my Mac pro. I do audio (sometimes scoring to picture) and I sit far away from the screen, so I want a 55inch TV to use for this purpose.

I bought a Westinghouse 55inch TV from best buy, and the quality is really not great - though having a monitor of this size is fantastic.

I want to return this tv and either get a vizio 1080 55 inch tv or a vizio 55inch 4k TV. I'm aware that I could only run the 4k TV at 30hz (right?).

My question is... If I were to buy the 4k TV and wanted to use it in 1080 resolution (so I could have it at 60hz), would this work? Would there be any mouse-lag? There is a bit of lag on my Westinghouse which I would like to eliminate.

Any knowledge in this arena is much appreciated (other brands, etc). Thanks!

larrysing1963

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2014
Hey I'm going to be purchasing a TV to use as a monitor for my Mac pro. I do audio (sometimes scoring to picture) and I sit far away from the screen, so I want a 55inch TV to use for this purpose. I bought a Westinghouse 55inch TV from best buy, and the quality is really not great - though having a monitor of this size is fantastic. I want to return this tv and either get a vizio 1080 55 inch tv or a vizio 55inch 4k TV. I'm aware that I could only run the 4k TV at 30hz (right?). My question is... If I were to buy the 4k TV and wanted to use it in 1080 resolution (so I could have it at 60hz), would this work? Would there be any mouse-lag? There is a bit of lag on my Westinghouse which I would like to eliminate. Any knowledge in this arena is much appreciated (other brands, etc). Thanks!

Interesting question, and not easy to answer, because the technology is 5 years apart, basically. And there are unanswered questions here, also.

You are probably out of luck running anything at 4K on a 2010 Mac Pro - all the specs I can find show the max resolution of that computer is 2560x1600. Unless you have a more updated video card in the computer - do you?

No version of HDMI currently on the market goes higher than 30Hz at 4K resolutions. You SHOULD be able to get 60Hz from the HDMI ports of those TVs @ 1080p, however.

DP 1.2 will get you 4K @ 60Hz, but does your Mac Pro video card have a DP 1.2 port? Does the TV have a DP 1.2 port?

Answers to some of these questions can help us get you definitive answers.

rockandroll556

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
thanks for the help. i will look into those questions and post as I find answers... any insight into mouse lag? Would that be increased with a 4k tv having to "upsample" (whatever the terminology) a 1080 signal?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.