Using a HDTV as a 2nd monitor (among other things)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SamNeeds, Apr 24, 2008.

1. SamNeeds macrumors regular

Good morning all,

My plan is to wall mount a HDTV and use it as a 2nd monitor to output video to when ever I want to watch a video or DVD. It'll also be used for a PS3 and general TV usage.

Has anyone done this? And if so, what did they use? My plan at the moment is to run it via a 'Mini-DVI to DVI connector', then via a DVI to HDMI cable.

Also is it possible for it to run in such a way that when the PS3 or TV is being used, the Mac won't recognise it, but when I switch it a certain mode (HDMI for example) the Mac will automatically pick it up and adjust the resolution (in the Mac settings) so that everything doesn't look stretched, tall etc.

Thanks,

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

HDTV External Monitor

This is the same set up as I have. My mac is plugged in via a mini dvi to dvi cable to a 22" Samsung HDTV. I also have an xbox 360 attached to the tv via a component cable. This means that both the mac and the xbox are on different AV channels. This means once the mac resolution has been set up, it does not have too be changed.

Does that make any sense?

3. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Your TV should have either VGA or DVI, which is what i recommend you use, also you will need to output the sound aswell, and if you use HDMI, there is no way to get sound in, which is why using the PC Port is far better.

Also, the PS3 will make a far better DVD Player than any PC, as it has a good upscaler inside.

4. SamNeeds thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all.

stridemat - Yes, it makes sense. Thanks :)

MattZani -

"Also, the PS3 will make a far better DVD Player than any PC, as it has a good upscaler inside."

Yes, I agree. Having thought about it, I'll probably use the PS3 more-so than the Mac for DVD playing. But it would still be nice to have the option to output it from the Mac if I need to (i.e. .mov, .wmv etc, TV rips that I do using my DVD recorder etc).

5. Shagrat macrumors 6502a

Shagrat

My setup too. Macbook to Samsung 40"1080p (via VGA conector), and PS3 to HDMI in on the same.

Sound from Macbook goes to seperate Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers which i normally have plugged into the Sammy headphone socket.

All works beautifully!