Using a Sony all-in-one as a monitor for a MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robotmonkey, Jun 19, 2010.

1. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

I am sorry I am posting this here, but I am not getting much of anything in the proper area of this site. And since I am using a mbp I suppose it is fine to post this here. I have an all-in-one sony and I want to use it as an external display. So far, I hate screenrecycler because I can't figure it out and it seems like it's gonna be too slow. Anybody know of any hardware that I can use? Can it do it through any of the ports on my mbp?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If the Sony AIO has no video input, then VNC (Screen Recycler) is the best option.

What specific parts have you got a problem with?

You can also change your thread title to something like "Need help setting up Screen Recycler with a Sony AIO and a MBP" if you want to go the Screen Recycler route, again, your only option (besides other VNC clients) to extend your display to the Sony, if that AIO has NO video in and allows something like Target Display Mode (like the 27" iMac).

Btw, your current thread title is misleading and not very descriptive.

To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

from the forum rules:

Minor Problems

3. Thread titles.

Use thread titles that indicate the subject of the thread, not generic titles such as "Need advice/help". Moderators may change thread titles that have no specifics, usually by adding something more specific in parentheses.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Minor_Problems

3. robotmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry about that, it just annoys me when I see overly specific thread titles when the problem can be described in the description. But I stand corrected. It is setting up the vnc on the sony that I am having trouble with... to configure it I get a window with a bunch of things I know nothing about. I tried all of the suggestions in the ReadMe, but I don;t even know if I am doing it right.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I currently have no Windows computer to try it with, but do you know someone, that knows about networking and setting up networks and such?

Can you maybe post screenshots or at least the settings it asks you?

I haven't tried ScreenRecycler in a while, but it was fairly easy to setup between an MB and an MBP.

5. robotmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

The vnc that comes with it for macs is really easy, as with everything mac. I somehow made a secondary display on my primary display in a matter of seconds. Unfortunately, that vnc doesn't exist for windows.

6. robotmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502

Now it won't even connect to the internet...

I hate pc's. Anybody know of a cheap display I can use, cause idk if i'll ever get this to work with the pc properly.