Using a US Drum Scanner in the UK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by James.Paul, Aug 7, 2003.

  1. James.Paul macrumors regular

    May 19, 2002
    Northallerton, England
    I've got the opportunity of getting an old Crosfield Celsis 240 drum scanner from the US and want to use it in the UK. My main concern is electricity current. I guess I would need a voltage adapter. Can anyone recommend one? There must be a few of you US guys who have come to England with your laptops or something.

  2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000


    Jan 22, 2003
    In your head.
    Any old 220 to 110 adapter should do, just put a surge protector on it. A good heavy-duty travel converter should work. I know the current difference drives the construction people batty in England. I just had a friend of mine go off on how American and Japanese tool manufactures assume that every power tool should be used on the power standards of the America's. The person was irritated at having to have a 110 system for some of their tools.

    Wow, 4000dpi, that must be nice!
    What kind of Mac do you have, and old Beige G3?
    What do you need a Celsis 240 for?

    If you were a sneaky bastard, you could get a free transformer. Hit the hotels. Walk in and say,
    "Did you just have an American family that left a transformer here?" "I have no idea what room, but they made such a fuss about it, I think it was 2 weeks ago. They just left our house and we don't have it. I just want t ship it to them so that..." Some hotel somewhere will have one (they are heavy and people do forget them), and eventually one will just give you what they have because they know that nobody ever returns to pick up a 5-10lb (2.2-4.5Kg) brick. Who would ship a $60 (37.3 £) converter back? It would cost that much just in postage.
    I don't know. If your on a budget, it might just work for you.

Share This Page