Using a VM w/a MBA -can I sync my phone to Windows apps in the VM & Itunes in OS X?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by FHayek, Aug 30, 2012.

1. FHayek, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012

FHayek macrumors member

All,

I am slowly moving toward the purchase of my first Mac (13” MBA with 8 gigs of RAM, i5, and 256 GB’s of storage). I plan to run a VM for Office 2010, specifically Word, Excel and Outlook using a hosted Exchange account.

If I migrate to a Mac, will I be able to sync my iPhone via Exchange to my Outlook within the Virtual Machine AND be able to sync my music to the new Mac in iTunes running on the OS X side?

FH

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Cant you just link your iPhone to the exchange server and sync wirelessly on the exchange?

3. FHayek thread starter macrumors member

Absolutely. My iPhone and work PC are always in sync, and when I turn on a PC at home, if it's loaded with my Outlook profile, it syncs to the server, so everything links.

My question pertains to syncing my iPhone to a Mac running Office 2010 via Parallels as well as running iTunes in OS X. I want to know if my iPhone will be able to still sync into both OS X and a VM? Can an iPhone sync to two different operating systems at the same time?

fh

4. mmhaskar macrumors newbie

Yes, that's my current set-up. A little quirky though - for my set-up, it's an either-or proposition. I only sync contacts with my Windows VM nothing else. I prefer using Outlook to manage my contacts. You have to specify that in the sync options within iTunes.

When you plug in the phone, you'll get a prompt for which machine you want to connect to - either the Mac or the VM.

Also - when you do upgrades, you might want to consider suspending the VM if you plan to walk away during the process. I've run into a few glitches where the upgrade times-out or it auto-connects to the wrong machine and I have to restart the whole process (or worse, I've had to restore then restart!).

5. FHayek thread starter macrumors member

I assume if I want my iPhone to sync with iTunes using the native application, I choose the Mac prompt. I would prefer not to install the Windows's version of iTunes in the VM.

Thanks for your reply-

FH