Using Airport Extreme on CAT network as both Wifi Router and hardwire router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chrisbru, Jul 27, 2015.

1. chrisbru macrumors 6502a

chrisbru

So here's my setup:
    Basement data closet has a cable modem/router with 4 outputs. This connects to 4 CAT jacks, which are run to various rooms in my house.

Ideally, I want to set up my Airport Extreme in my living room, and have it both broadcast the wifi network, and use the ethernet ports to drive hardline connections for my Apple TV, PS4, and DirecTV box. I want to then use my Time Capsule in my basement to use as a wireless backup, wifi extender for the basement, and use the ethernet ports to hardline my Apple TV, PS3, and DirecTV box for the downstairs TVs.

Is this possible? It seems I have to run the Airport Extreme in bridge mode so it doesn't interfere with the router functions of the cable modem. Is there a better way to do this? Any networking gurus able to help me?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You would need to put the modem into bridge mode and use the AirPort as the router.

3. chrisbru thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrisbru

I can't do that though, as the modem drives the data ports at their source in the data closet. Or am I misunderstanding how bridge mode works?

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

In that case you would have everything connected behind the AirPort.

5. Shamgar macrumors regular

What you want to do will be fine. Disable the routing functions on the AEBS and TC by setting them to Bridge Mode, and your modem will handle the routing tasks for your network. With routing disabled, their ethernet ports will act as a dumb switch and relay your hardline traffic. Create a Wireless Network on your AEBS, and set the TC to Extend a Wireless Network for the same. Then both will be available as a wireless access points for the same network.