Using Cell Phone for GPS Unlawful

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Southern Dad, May 17, 2014.

?

What do you use for Navigation

1. None - I know where I'm going

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. GPS - Dash or Window Mount (non-phone)

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  3. GPS - Built into vehicle

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. Web Based App on Cell Phone

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  5. Non Web Based App on Cell Phone

21 vote(s)
    41.2%
  6. Good Old Fashioned Maps

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Gwinnett County Police Officer Jessie Myers has written over 800 tickets for unlawful communications device. Georgia's law states that you cannot use any web based application which includes GPS Navigation on a cell phone. This officer is a motorcycle officer and is able to spot this pretty easily.

Georgia isn't alone in this law. California's law written much the same, was causing citations to be written for using GPS on a telephone. An appellate court has ruled that it is not a violation of the law.

State Distracted Driving Laws

2. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

So if I were to use the stock maps app om my iPhone i would be ok?
    If so I don't see how this makes any sense.

3. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

And how do you feel about the wisdom of your State? What are the grounds for such a law? What about dedicated GPS devices in your car, how are they different?

This poll should have been multiple choice, I use dash mounted GPS, GPS installed in car, and iPhone, the latter on occasion.

4. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Its about increasing state income via tickets. And making the highway patrol feel big.

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Oh yeah, the "we don't raise taxes" States but gotta get you to cough up $$ somehow. ;)

6. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Yep! Via Useless traffic tickets!

7. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I don't think most people get this.

In Utah: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=29335637#oVJ4MyCrH0TFTWMo.99

Total BS

[​IMG]

8. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

I think cops who actually any of that in their cars are just using it kuz theresno real crime.

Small town America? No real time.

As someone who lives near NYC and keeps a second place in NYC. I can tell you the NYPD dont care about stupid texting laws, they have real crime to fight.

Small town America doesn't understand that.

9. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Here's the problem, if you see a cop on his phone texting, who holds him accountable...You are me? We'll get shot and in the report it will say we were acting in a deranged fashion.

[​IMG]

10. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Because the police are your freind and care! They can pull over when they are done sending their texts, then kill you, and get a heros medel!

11. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Most of the 800 tickets this police person issued were for texting while driving.

I'm fine with that. And, in fact, wish more states would outlaw talking on a mobile phone while driving. Hands-free or otherwise, studies show that such communications distract the operator of the vehicle and significantly increase the likelihood of a crash.

If Georgia's law is written in such a way to criminalize the use of a smartphone as a navigation device, then the law needs to be updated.

12. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Look up the statutes, most specifically EXCLUDE on-duty use, if for official purposes, for ANY officers or first responders.

Keep in mind, some (all?) are put through MUCH more intense driving courses than most "civilian" drivers. Our state police used to (and may still) have one set up at a local National Guard airfield on a previously deserted section of the property.

13. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The law is written to not allow GPS on a cell phone. I became aware of this when one of my administrative assistants got an expensive ticket for this. Her iPhone was in a window bracket and it was displaying a route using Maps. This is the officer who nailed her, rode right up beside her at a light.

14. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Then he's an idiot. One of many police officers, in this country and elsewhere, who seems to have lost sight of what the role of law enforcement ought to be.

Its a shame. Because the role of police in a civilized society is vital.

But by his actions, terrorizing and penalizing other0wise law-abiding citizens for violations of obscure and otherwise victimless crimes, he diminishes the respect for the law - and law enforcement - among the very people he is supposed to serve.

15. pdjudd macrumors 601

I wonder what the specific statute (with the relevant state) that she was cited for - I’m willing to bet that there was something a bit more that was going on other than just using GPS on her phone. It could be that’s what she said, but I bet that isn’t precisely what the statute that she was ticket for states.

16. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Sounds like Police writing tickets for no reason.

17. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

So I shouldn't be allowed to use the bluetooth system built into my car while I'm driving? And how do you propose this be enforced? I don't even need to touch my phone to answer it, it's in my pocket the whole time. Good luck with that.

18. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

I'm glad you support a police state.

if my phone and GPS are built into my cars dashboard and never have to touch it? Whats the problem?

----------

Of course not! That makes sense! If you can do that, the police can't make money.

This must be for Rural and Suburban police, the NYPD would never waste their time for this.

19. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Hmm. I wonder if I can be ticketed with my iPad 2 mounted off my dash, used soley for Apple Maps navigation.

http://www.ce.org/Consumer-Info/Car...e-Laws-for-Electronics-Use-in-the-Car.aspx#22

20. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

As you saw in the original link, the officer is citing people because the use of a web based GPS on your phone would violate the law as you are using internet data. While I'm sure that wasn't the intent of the law. It's how this officer is enforcing it. In the original link there is a video of the officer himself stating this.

----------

I don't know why you think this is country bumpkin territory. Gwinnett County is one of the most affluent counties in the state of Georgia. It is considered to be part of metro Atlanta. The largest mall in the state of Georgia is in Gwinnett County. The AAA team for the Braves is in Gwinnett County. This isn't the sticks.

21. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

It might be alluent, and Im sure its a nice place.

But its nothing compared to the size and scope of New York City. the NYPD doesn't give a damn about people using GPS in cars. They care more about real crime, which I bet very little of happens in most parts of Georgia

22. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

The law you posted specifically addresses and limits itself to "text based communication"...

It sounds like using GPS while driving to display a map would be fine, while typing in the name of a location or place of business in a search field on a GPS mapping program might be considered a violation of the law.

23. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The way the law is written, using Maps on an iPhone would be a violation because it is using Internet data. The officer in his statement addresses this, as well. He clearly states that if you are using your phone for anything other than making a call, he's going to write you a ticket even using it for GPS.

Cop claims he’s issued nearly 800 tickets for texting and driving

24. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

No. Reread the sentence. It specifically states "text based communication".

GPS data is not "text based communication".

GPS data = binary code

Text =/= binary code

25. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Have fun arguing that after the citation is written.