Using children as political props

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ugahairydawgs, Jul 2, 2013.

1. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Perhaps there were no baby sitters around, but this just seems like bad parenting.

https://twitter.com/erin_nichols/status/351755707730755585/photo/1

I get being "pro choice" and I get instilling your kids with what you think is right.....but this is just terrible. It's shameful when the Westboro "church" people use their kids to spread their hate and this grotesque sign is equally shameful.

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I think children will buy into what ever a parent tells them. They should be kept out of the public protest arena imo.

3. dec. Suspended

dec.

I think you have a very good point there, I'm sure that you already made the association between political demonstrators using their kids as props and the Westboro Church much earlier in the process when photos like this surfaced on CNN, am I right? :)

[​IMG]

Other than that - keep the kids out. I'd go even further and keep any politics and religion away from kids. They'll believe whatever you tell them and I can understand that churches panic and want to make sure that new followers are being raised, but in my opinion it's the opposite of "freedom of religion". A child that is being baptized has no ******* clue what is going on around him/her.

4. dec. Suspended

dec.

I'm glad that they aren't limiting their hate to gays or metal musicians only, at least they get far more public attention when they start picketing funerals of soldiers, fire fighters and school shooting victims.

5. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Personally, I always hated the fact that I my parents felt I was too young (6 yr. old) and there was too much potential for "trouble" to be allowed to attend a local political rally that Eleanor Roosevelt spoke at (on behalf of JFK's presidential bid), circa 1960.

I had to settle for listening to Eleanor's bazaar sounding voice being broadcasted from a PA system, that echoed around town and up the small hill to my parent's house. There, I sat on the front porch and listened to the event but at the time (and still today) I would have loved to have been there, taking everything in first hand...

Earlier than day, my dad was one one of about a dozen men that had been deputized by the town's police chief. Each man was given a loaded .38 pistol and told to keep it hidden in their pockets unless "trouble started", because a nearby chapter of the Klu Klux Klan had announced they planned to dispute the rally (because of Kennedy reputation re:civil rights).

Originally, Kennedy was scheduled to speak, but that changed, supposedly, because of the KKK. Instead, Ms. Roosevelt was called into service to fill the void at the last minute, while Kennedy spoke in a another nearby town. Supposedly, this last minute schedule change threw the KKK off, as they never appeared at either event. But perhaps the threat had simply been hot air...

The "big" event was basically a non-event. But while I was sheltered by my parents from attending the event itself, they didn't attempt to shelter me from any of the facts surrounding the event.

Later in life, I came to appreciate that openness. For the non-event (that I could only witness from a safe distance) was the first time in my life that I can remember becoming fully aware of the fact that race was an issue, apparently a rather big issue to some... And because of that, I've always considered this non-event to be a rather beneficial learning experience.

6. rdowns, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Is your issue using children or that it was a pro-choice rally? I don't seem to recall threads about Sarah Palin exploiting her kids when she was running for VP or kids at Tea Party rallies. Perhaps I missed them.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Using children as political props should be seen as child abuse. These kids need to make their own choices and political decisions in life.

8. ugahairydawgs thread starter macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Its the fact that some parent took their kid to a pro choice rally and had them holding that particular sign. If you want to take your kids....fine by me. But that sign is every bit as offensive as the signs that the Westboro folks hold at their demonstrations.

Let them hold signs that say "I support my future right to choose" or something like that. But a clothes hanger? Really?

9. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Would it also be child abuse to take a 10-yr. old boy to a major league baseball or football game, many years before that child would be able to freely (and maturely) choose which team to root for or what team-colors to wear?

10. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Nope. Because politics ≠ sports.

11. localoid, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

So, religion=bad, politics= bad, and social issues=bad, but sports=good?

I assume nationalism=good++... (Happy 4th kids! That's it -- wave that flag!)

[​IMG]
    The double-plus-good way to use children as political props!

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Really. Because if the anti-choicers get their way, that will be the only method of abortion in this country.

13. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

This isn't a matter of looking at them whether they're "good" or "bad". This is about looking at them for what they are. Sports cannot decide which political party and person is put in charge of the country. Politics can. Sports is just a game and it doesn't really matter who you support since who wins will not effect your life.

Don't mix the running of a country up with pastimes. I also never said religion or social issues were "bad".

14. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I'll never let my daughter watch a Bayern game in her Bayern hat with her grandfather again..;)

15. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

There should be a law against that anyways !!!

Boooooooooooruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuusiiiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaa :D

16. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Really? I think you have not been paying attention.

17. AhmedFaisal, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013
  18. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Technically, it's free speech.

We can't start implementing rules like:
    "No free speech if you're under 18 (or x) years of age"...

Which is why that line can't be crossed.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Is it equally shameful when pro life people do the same?

I'm just asking because you include "pro choice" and reactionary, fundamentalist Christians, but you seem to have omitted including the less radical (than WBC) "pro life" faction who have also used their children in their efforts.

Fair is fair.

Let's be fair here.

Attached Files:

20. ugahairydawgs thread starter macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Those type of situations make me roll my eyes. The red meat in their signs, to me at least, isn't the same as way the "way out there' types do (i.e., the one that hands their kids a pro-abortion sign with a clothes hanger on it or any of the number of signs that WBC puts out there).

I don't mind your picture so much. And I really wouldn't mind someone taking their kid to a pro-choice rally and hand them a sign (I'm not going to do it....but that's me), but to give them something as obscene as what was pictured in the OP is just over the line.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Seems to me you're making an overly fine distinction here.

In both cases children are "used" to make the political point the parent supports.

But if you choose to see one as better or worse than the other, that's your call.

22. ugahairydawgs thread starter macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I don't think it's overly fine at all. Signs that say "Stop Abortion" or "Preserve Abortion" are a far cry from a pro-abortion sign depicting a wire hanger or something that cheers the death of soldiers.

Personally I wish everyone would leave their kids at home for this stuff, but if they must take them there is a definite distinction to be made when it comes to the content of the signs they give them to hold.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

So the title of the thread should be "Using children political props okay so long as content of signs are tasteful."

Oookay.

24. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

I think it is shameful but I would say no matter what side you are on, it doesn't even matter the subject people will always use the lines like.

Won't you think of the children! and hey if you can parade them in front of the camera at the same time it is a win-win.