Using family member's ATT upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sb1805, Sep 25, 2013.

1. sb1805 macrumors newbie

I want to use my dad's upgrade to get the new iphone 5S. His phone service is on a different account than mine, though we both use att. Does he need to be in the apple store with me in person to be able to use his upgrade, or can I just supply the apple store with his required information (phone number, billing zip, last 4 of ssn) with him not being there?

Thanks.

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

As long as your an authorized user on the account then there shouldn't be an issue. Worst case scenario they call him at the number they have on file and ask him if it's ok to do.

3. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

This is what I do. I am not so sure you can do it across multiple accounts.

I have 4 lines on my account. Only one was eligible for an upgrade. The one I used to get the 4S. What that means, I have to take my father-in-law's phone, my wife's phone, and my new phone with me to the AT&T store. They will replace the SIM in my father's phone, because the current SIM will become deactivated. Then they will begin swapping things around so my wife will have the iPhone 5, I will have the 5S and my father in law get his phone back.

I don't feel guilty doing this. I am paying for all 4 lines anyway, and his inconvenience is just for a couple of hours until everything get's sorted.

4. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I'd call your carrier to be sure first. While upgrading other lines on the same account is easy peasy, I've never heard of using another account to upgrade.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not as simple as just calling the account holder.
    They cannot make any changes or sign a contract under his name unless the authorized user is there with his ID.
    If the thread started is not included in his account as an authorized user they will not be able to do it and will just turn him away.

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

You can do that from your home with a phone call.

7. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

Yes I tried that the first time. They said I had to get a new SIM for my dads phone. Not a big deal, I mean, the AT&T store is as close as any Apple Store.

8. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I just received a 5S that was upgraded on a line that wasn't mine. I swapped the SIMs and that was it. No call to AT&T or trip to their store. As long as you don't need a different sized SIM, you can just swap them.

If you do need a different size, then a trip to the store is in order unless you want to wait until they ship it, which is free and usually shipped overnight.

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Ah, interesting. I wonder why. Oh, well. Glad it wasn't a long way away or something! Sounds like time well spent. :) I also shuffle devices around the family.