Using Finland iPhone 4s in US

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by darknyt, Nov 11, 2011.

1. darknyt macrumors 6502a

Father-in-law will be coming here from Finland for a month (not sure his network over there).

He wants to bring his iPhone 4s over here and use it in US.

Am I thinking too simply to assume he can get a prepaid card/microsim here in the US?

Or is he likely to run into unlock issues/etc. If someone can point me in the right direction for info, much appreciation. Everything I've found so far is going the other way (US --> Int'l)

Thanks for input.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

If he bought it "SIM Free" (€629 for the 16GB) he can just get an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM for use in the USA. If he bought it subsidized through a carrier, it's locked to that carrier and he'd need to check with the carrier to see if it is possible to have the SIM unlocked for his trip.

3. darknyt thread starter macrumors 6502a

I checked and he bought it unlocked and SIM Free as you say.

So what would be the best way to go about getting a micro sim for him to use for a month? Would the B&M stores have them?

4. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

amazon, or get a cheap mobile network card such as simple mobile/h2o and cut the sim card to size?

5. darknyt thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I called an AT&T store, and my wife called another.

We got two wildly different answers.

My store said no problem, they had micro sims and could get us set up on a prepaid card.

The one my wife called said they don't do any iPhone prepaid plans (assume he means because of data?) and that we would have to get a normal plan for a month, pay the $36 activation fee and then whatever normal plan they offer for voice/data/text.

Seems like highway robbery to me when you just need a prepaid phone for a month.

Is T-mobile an option? I saw somewhere else someone mentioned plans at BB?

6. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

yeah as ive said just go online the sim cards are $3 on it and you can set it up at your leisure.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Get T-Mobile's $50 prepaid for a month. It comes with unlimited calling, text, and data. Of course you'll only have EDGE data, but it should be fine for most tasks. T-Mobile will give you a microSIM for the iPhone if you specifically request one at time of activation.

AT&T you can get prepaid if you don't tell them what phone it will be used for, but they won't give you a microSIM (you'll need to cut it). Furthermore, prepaid AT&T data does not work on the iPhone.