Using iPhone 4 as an itouch – help please

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ALMF, Jan 3, 2013.

1. ALMF macrumors regular

I upgraded to an iPhone 5 after my 4 fell into some water. The 4 works perfectly fine except for the ear speaker used during conversations.

I figured I can still use the device as an itouch or give to a friend to do the same.

Last night I was toying with it a little and noticed that if I take out the sim card its Wi-Fi becomes ridiculously slow for anything. Why is this happening? I thought the sim card only related to cellular usage and I am not understanding why taking it out it would slow down data transfers.

I am leaning towards giving it to a friend but don’t want them to have a painfully slow experience with it. If I give it away with the sim card, how do I ensure all data has been erased from both the phone and sim?

2. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

I cannot explain the "slowness" you are experiencing and can only suggest a full restore. As for the SIM card, if it is deactivated, then there should be no trouble as long as the SIM was never used with a non-smartphone of some sort and has text messages and contacts stored on it. But if it was always used with an iPhone, there should be no sensitive data on it. In fact, I would keep the SIM inside the iPhone, because if you do reset or restore it, iTunes/iOS requires a carrier SIM to be installed (even an inactive SIM works) to "activate" the iPhone.

3. FixBrokeni macrumors member

FixBrokeni

Restore the device. It's strange to hear that the wifi is slower, hopefully a restore will get everything running correctly.

4. ALMF thread starter macrumors regular