Using iPhone 4S With Vodfone in Italy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by moriahsallis, Jan 10, 2012.

1. moriahsallis macrumors newbie

I will be living in Italy for 4 months starting in a couple of weeks and would like to use my iPhone there. AT&T's international plans seem way overpriced to me, and I have read about some people going to Vodfone stores and being able to get Vodfone SIM cards and use their prepaid plans on the iPhone.

Has anyone done this or know anything about it?

I have an iPhone 4S, so I'm not sure if the new size of SIM card in the iPhone will work with Vodfone or if this idea will work in general. Also, does the iPhone have to be jailbroken to do this? I do not want to jailbreak my iPhone.

I also will be traveling throughout Europe--France, Spain, UK, Ireland, etc.--will this company work in other European countries?

Any information about how this works--if it works with a 4S, what the Vodfone plans are, where to go to get the Vodfone SIM card and activate the plan, etc.--would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Your iphone 4S is locked to AT&T unless you bought it full price from Apple.
    If its locked to AT&T it will not accept any other carriers sims so you will not be able to use it with prepaid or any other European sims.

3. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

There is no jailbreak for the 4s yet, which is needed if you want to software unlock it. ATT nor will Apple unlock it for you. You are better off selling your 4s for as much as possible on craigslist or ebay and then buying a factory unlocked 4s from Apple.

Edit: AJ beat me to it