Using iPhone to push music to home stereo via AirPort Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 800Degrees, Apr 14, 2009.

1. 800Degrees macrumors newbie

I just set up a second AirPort Express - connected to the home stereo - to allow the Mac laptops to push iTunes music to the home stereo system wirelessly. This worked on the first try. See, I'm a recently converted PC guy... I'm used 15-20 attempts followed by a few calls to the tech support...

So, as soon as the novelty wore off (it hasn't completely) I tried to network the iPhone... couldn't do it. I can't find where to swap the speaker from "Computer" to "Stereo" (the name assigned to the AirPort).

Is this possible? Should I just be happy with the laptop?

Thanks.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Air tunneling iTunes to your home stereo is cool but u have to have the pc on all the time.

3. 800Degrees thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, but for parties, etc. it'll be pretty sweet - iPhone in pocket, MacBook tucked away in the house... controlling iTunes anywhere, e.g. in house, upstairs, downstairs, on deck, patio... I can't tell you how many times the kids yell "Play that one again Daddy!" and I've got to go in the house - to the iPod connected to the stereo. Or worse: I'm outside, and up comes one of my "not-family-friendly" songs. (Nine Inch Nails: I want to *#$& You Like an Animal) Oops. Sprint for iPod... Not anymore! Just reach in pocket and tap >>

I found a work-around: "Remote" a free app turns the iPhone into a remote for iTunes on the MacBook. It totally replicates the interface - it might as well be the iPod interface.