Using iPhoto on iPad to edit Photos taken with my digital SLR

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macbook123, Mar 16, 2012.

1. macbook123, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

macbook123 macrumors 68000

I must be looking in the wrong places but I haven't been able to find answers to a bunch of obvious questions:

Will I be able to edit photos taken with my digital SLR (or any non-iSight camera for that matter) in iPhoto for iOS on the iPad?

Will I have to buy the SD adapter or can I import images loaded into iPhoto/Aperture on my Mac?

How will I be able to synch iPhoto libraries between my new iPad and Mac?

2. DS3 macrumors 6502a

DSLR photos - Yes.

SD Adapter - thats the obvious way, but if you want a more convenient (and expensive) method you could use an eye-fi SD card, they are SD cards that can transmit the photos wirelessly without being removed from the camera. Or so I've heard, I don't have one yet.

others - I think so but Im not sure so Ill let someone else say so.

3. sal macrumors 6502

you probably can but you'll be editing jpegs and then the resolution you spit out will be probably be a lower resolution than what you started with. at least this has been my experience with my iphone 4S...no iOS app I've used has been able to keep my 18megapixel images that my 60D takes or even import it for that matter.

My question is WHY would you ever do that?

Shoot raw with your DSLR and use aperture or lightroom to edit your images. don't down size your images and limit yourself to iOS apps. It's silly.

4. RelentlessFruit macrumors newbie

With regards to DSLR - I've imported RAW images using the camera connector kit (SD card reader) no problems on my iPad 2 so no worries there.

The new iPhoto app is able to handle upto 19 Megapixel images so no need to worry about compression / loss of quality.

Not sure I'd class iPhoto as being a pro-standard piece of software but for out and about edits / quick & dirty work it's pretty good.

5. sal macrumors 6502

wow, amazing. very thankful I bought an ipad then.

now if we could only convince the friendly people at adobe to give us a lightroom ios app :D

6. habubauza macrumors regular

habubauza

I've read that the images you edit on the iPad are actually the jpeg previews and not the actual raw files.

7. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

Obviously shooting raw and using a proper program is best. However, I think the iPad with iPhoto can be very usefull. If you import the raw file you will only be editing the jpeg preview embedded in the file. Shoot raw and jpeg to get a better quality jpeg onto the iPad. I'm not sure if it will import both to the iPad or just the jpeg when shooting in raw and jpeg.

My planned use once my Canon 5D mark III arrives with dual slots I'm going to shoot raw to the CF card and full size jpeg to the Eye-fi SD card and when travelling and not wanting to edit on the move I will use the jpeg on the iPad and iPhoto to send out photos back to friends/family at home.

8. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

What about syncing the iOS iPhoto library with the one on the Mac?

I can imagine a common workflow to be to import photos on the Mac, but want to view and edit them on the (better display of the) iPad. Will this be impossible? Will the two libraries be unsynced? That would suck big time.

9. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Hey there, I've been using a Canon DSLR with iPhoto for iPad since it was released. iPhoto for the iPad was designed as a standalone app on the iPad with connectivity. What does that mean?

1. You'll be able to import 19MP and smaller RAW images from a DSLR directly into the iPad for editing and storage.

2. RAWs are converted to JPG for preview and editing purposes. This allows you to make non-destructive edits to your photos quickly and efficiently. It also allows you to quickly shared edited content quickly via the connections.

3. You can sync albums and events between iPhoto Mac and iPhoto iOS.

4. If you're going to be mobile and not bringing your Mac, the Camera connection kit is invaluable to dump your photos.

5. Sync via iTunes is the best way to sync photos between iPhoto Mac and iPhoto iOS.

6. If you need more versatile touchups like Photoshop, iPhoto iOS won't be able to do those. You can however make non-destructive edits on the iPad then transfer to iPhoto Mac and then export to Photoshop.

10. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thank you! Incredibly useful answer!

11. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm happy to hear that syncing with iPhoto is possible, but am realizing that the inability to sync with Aperture will likely entail that I'll have to regularly sync all my libraries between Aperture and iPhoto, so I can then sync them with the iOS iPhoto on the iPad. What a pain. I don't even know how to do that.

12. dennya macrumors regular

dennya