Using MagSafe connector for most of the time when not battery is not used often?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jonathan_W, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Jonathan_W macrumors member

After finishing university this year, I rarely use my MacBook Pro's battery and use the MagSafe connector for most of the time. Would leaving the MagSafe connector in for most of the time affect the battery's lifetime?

If so, are there any recommendations on what to do to help keep the battery life optimised other than calibrating it once a month? :eek:

2. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Leaving the Mac plugged does not affect the battery once it has been fulled. Once completly charged, the power will go directly to power the MacBook itself, so no worry about that.

Using the battery casually (like one charge/week) can help to keep your battery optimised, since leaving it full isn't not that good for an extended period of time. I've seen on a website that you can lose up to 20% from your battery energy capacity in one year if you leave it always fully charged.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So far I've using battery mode for over 90 hours now. I have 2 batteries, so while one battery is charging, I'm using the other one. Of course I noticed my battery life staying quite constant.

And no I'm not doing this on purpose; my AC adapter is broken—too lazy to get it replaced.

Anyways, I'm just saying to say it's good to run on battery only once in while and it won't do the battery much harm.

4. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I almost never use it on battery power. No harm.

5. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    I heard opposite opinions. Some pple say that the battery should be used like every second day or so.

6. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Do you have an external battery charger?

7. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Nah, battery should be run a full cycle every month or so to keep it fresh.

8. dollar398 macrumors newbie

Unfortunately li-ion batteries are not invincible. they have a finite number of charge/discharge cycles. The battery's capacity is slowly deteriorated by heat and oxidation over time.

If you want to max your batt's life try to keep your MBP cool when you can (set it on a good notebook cooler when possible). Also try to minimize your cycling, by only using it plugged in when your at home, save the battery for the road.

What it really boils down to is diminished returns, how much do you want to tether yourself to a wall or a cooler in order to squeeze some extra life out of a battery that will in fact kick the bucket?

If you want here is apple's maximize your batt life page

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

honestly though my best recommendation is to open a separate savings account with ing or whoever and set up automatic deductions (this way it doesn't fell like it costs $130 it's only like 11 bucks a month). Then every year buy a new battery.

9. Jonathan_W thread starter macrumors member