using .mov files in iDVD, no sound and no video play after burn

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Firefighter6484, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Firefighter6484 macrumors newbie

I have 12 Videos in .mov format that I saved from .wmv format using quicktime and flip4mac. I have also tried saving them as AVI and same result.

Here's the problem, when I put them into iDVD and save as disk image to check, the videos are there, but no sound. I tried also burning them to DVD, using a maxell DVD-R 16x, and all the will come up on the dvd is the title menu. Movies will not play on my macbook or in the dvd player on TV. I tried using the .avi format but there still was no sound, and the movies were really choppy.

if i try to use iMovie, it will not even import these .mov files (doesn't let me click on them to import)

is there another format i need to export to, or change some setting to get the sound in my project, and get the movies to play have i burn them?

All the movies are approx 1hr long except one, and I was using the best performance setting putting 2 movies per dvd.

Please help thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could use MPEG Streamclip to encode them to something that iDVD can read and later encode to MPEG-2 (DVD format).

Can you post the information the .mov and .avi clip give you while open in QuickTime (Cmd+I)?

3. Firefighter6484 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did try exporting to Mpeg-4, but it didnt work either.

Here is the info for on of the clips.

Format: Windows Media Audio 9 Standard, Stereo, 44.100 kHz
    Windows Media Video 8, 320 x 240, Millions

FPS: 29.83
    Data Size: 300.88
    Data Rate: 2464.78 kbits/s
    Duration: 16.59.55
    Normal Size 320x240 pixels
    Current Size 320x240 pixels (actual size)

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

When you export using QuickTime (?) you could use the DV codec (DV-PAL or DV-NTSC) for the picture, and Linear PCM for the audio.

But your source is low quality nonetheless, as it's only a quarter of NTSC's (American Standard Definition Broadcast Standard) resolution.

So expect image quality loss, when you upscale the pictures for iDVD.

5. Firefighter6484 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that Mpeg Streamclip last night, and used the default DV format. Same thing. I put them into iDVD, and then saved as disc image. Once it was all done I oped the image and the videos were there, but still no audio.

6. Firefighter6484 thread starter macrumors newbie

Should I go back to the WMV files and convert from there, or is this a problem in iDVD. I was kinda hoping tha it would be simple, just drag drop and burn......

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, you should definitely go back to the source files.

And thinking about this drag and drop thingie, those files are Windows Media Files with a subpar resolution (320x240) and not meant for Mac OS X.

Btw, what dimensions do you export to?

Could you give us some screenshots?

- You can use Grab (Applications > Utilities) or Cmd + Shift + 4 (select the area yourself you want to screenshot). They save as a .png on the desktop.

8. extralarge macrumors member

Theoretically speaking, if the original video is compressed with auido inside, the output DVD is soundable. Therefore, have a try with the IDVD magic, don't do any extra setting, just drag in your video with a chosen menu, and then preview it. if you can hear the sound, shound't be any problem.