Using my iMac 27" (2011) as a display for my Xbox 360 via HDMI!? Help please

Discussion in 'iMac' started by asweiss, Sep 29, 2011.

1. asweiss macrumors newbie

I am interested in using my iMac 27" (2011 model, i5, Ati 6770 graphics) as a display output for my Xbox 360 (HDMI version).

I just bought a Rocketfish Display port to HDMI adapter (allows me to plug HDMI into iMac which then goes into the display port. I plugged the 360 in and tried pressing Command + F2 but nothing happened.

I am really frustrated and hope I don't need an actual adapter which is larger and pricier?

Am I doing something wrong?

Thx

2. AbeFroman77 macrumors 6502

The source has to be Thunderbolt. That's why I went with a 2010 iMac to use as my PC monitor.

3. asweiss thread starter macrumors newbie

So you are saying I can't use my iMac?

Is there an HDMI to thunderbolt cable? I've seen some people use their 27" as a display for console with a $150+ adapter

4. AbeFroman77 macrumors 6502

You can only use the 2011 27" iMacs as a display for 2011 MBP's and MBA's. There is no adapter.

5. s.horsfield macrumors regular

Hello,

On the 2010 27' iMac's you can use the $150+. One of the adaptors (Kanex XD) is working on a thunderbolt version so don't fret!

6. Fozziebear40 macrumors regular

Fozziebear40

I'm hoping Santa is on his way with my new Kanex XD for Thunderbolt :D

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

The Kanex XD forum states it will not work with the Thunderbolt macs. There is no estimated time as to when it might be available. Don't hold your breath.

8. bungiefan89 macrumors 6502a

Not true. According to the post by Austin in this thread, they can't work on a thunderbolt device right now because Thunderbolt's inventor, Intel, won't release the technology to third party developers... probably because they have a deep fear of money and success. :confused:

9. Fozziebear40 macrumors regular

Fozziebear40

It must be possible though. The port is the same size and works like a display port connector. It does allow video in (although only for certain macs yet) so once Intel release the details or chips they can get on with it. It might even get a scaler so it works at the full resolution.

10. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Yes, once Intel release the specifications - which they may charge third party developers for, and hence make any device uneconomical. It's basically a waiting game with no guarantee that it will ever happen in the first place.

11. alstrike, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011

alstrike macrumors regular

alstrike

12. Fozziebear40 macrumors regular

Fozziebear40

It shows an Xbox 360 plugged into it but says, recording game play. Great for recording videos but I suspect it has a lot of lag so useless to play in realtime.

It shows this will be possible :)

13. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

BlackMagic capture devices have a latency of 50-100ms, which is way too much for an FPS game, but probably okay for others. Only other issue is that it records, so you need a big HD.

14. Fozziebear40 macrumors regular

Fozziebear40

Looks like a few more Thunderbolt peripherals launching at CES2012. Belkin have a multi docking station with all ports on including an HDMI. I presume its only HDMI out for now but sounds promising.

Attached Files: