Using my MBA to watch Videos all day long? Is that bad??

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by houssein31, Dec 18, 2013.

1. houssein31 macrumors regular

Hello,

So I used to watch tv shows, using my brothers pc (connected to the tv) but he sold it, so now I am thinking of doing so with my MBA. The thing is, my brother had to change his battery because I watch a lot of tv (about 6-8h a day(during my vacation)) so I ****ed up the computer in some way. I guess even if it was plug in, you still damage the battery if you use it for to long (not sure).

I know that the same thing will happen to my mac, but my question is: Is there a way to watch a lot of video with my computer(connected to the tv) without using a big amount of battery or without needing to change my battery a few month later? If not, how long could I do this before changing the battery

My MBA is a 2013, 13inch 256gb and 8gb of ram if that make any difference to your answer

P.s.: I could simply buy a roku, but I watch these show on websites like 1channel, vodly....

THANKS IN ADVANCE

2. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

I bet watching TV had nothing to do with it; mere coincidence.

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I believe you are making a coclusion based by a single incident.

My engineering training tells me there should not be a drastic wearing of the battery as long as ur on AC.

4. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

i agree with the other 2 posts. however as to whether watching TV at all for 6-8 hours is bad... well, it certainly isn't good. For you i mean, not your computer!

/just sayin

5. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

I stream movies and TV shows on Netflix, and find temps go up, but battery is ok. Been streaming since July '13. Agree with others one incident is not a cause to panic or think it will happen again. Enjoy!

6. scupking macrumors 6502a

My 2010 13" MBP has been plugged in for most of its almost 4 years. Its on all day and battery is still fine when I unplug.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're not going to damage your battery by watching videos on your Mac. That's what it's designed to do. However, if you're watching videos for hours, it's better to plug in your Mac, rather than run on battery when you don't need to. I assume if you're able to plug into a TV, there is also an AC outlet nearby.

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.