Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibarrett94

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
So from what I have heard, I believe my iPhone 5 is unlocked. I have a pretty big trip coming up, Germany, Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal, France, England, and Ireland. Is there a Prepaid sim that i can put in my phone that will work in an assortment of countries? I have a feeling there is not but still its worth asking. If so, how much would it cost me? ill only be there 40 days so i don't need much voice and data.
Thanks,

cutienoua

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
there are companies that do that kind of roaming ,but it will be more expensive than buying in each country.
if you don't need constant phone coverage,just use skype at cafe with free internet!
skype has numbers available for all these countries in case you need to reached local.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
So from what I have heard, I believe my iPhone 5 is unlocked. I have a pretty big trip coming up, Germany, Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal, France, England, and Ireland. Is there a Prepaid sim that i can put in my phone that will work in an assortment of countries? I have a feeling there is not but still its worth asking. If so, how much would it cost me? ill only be there 40 days so i don't need much voice and data.
Thanks,

Yes! My mother and I had vodafone when she was stationed there a couple years ago. From what I can remember you can use that one sim and you'll get coverage in all the other countries also. I can't remember what it costs, but it wasn't much.

ibarrett94

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
there are companies that do that kind of roaming ,but it will be more expensive than buying in each country.
if you don't need constant phone coverage,just use skype at cafe with free internet!
skype has numbers available for all these countries in case you need to reached local.

Yes! My mother and I had vodafone when she was stationed there a couple years ago. From what I can remember you can use that one sim and you'll get coverage in all the other countries also. I can't remember what it costs, but it wasn't much.

Thanks guys ill check it out!

vitale

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2013
Thanks,

Normally I'd say get a nano SIM in the country you'll be in if it's 1-3 (at a stretch) but since you're going all over Europe, you can get a Truphone nano-SIM - and have a US + UK number that people can use to call you.

https://localanywhere.truphone.com/buy/

Rates

http://www.truphone.com/en-GB/Products/Tru-for-you/Rate-Checker/

You can still get a prepaid nano SIM in countries where it would save you most.

Also - here's the Vodafone PAYG option:

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/pay-as-you-go/travelling-abroad/index.htm

trophynuts

macrumors member
May 25, 2011
i was in Germany in October and bought a pre paid nano sim from VodaFone for 25euro for my VZW I5. It worked with no problems. When you first power it up from sticking the sim in it asks for the sim unlock code. Which is on one of the info sheets that came with the card. You have to scratch off lie a lotto ticket and the pin number was under it.

25Euro for the nano sim
It included 200mb of data and it took 9.95 for activation and that left you with 15$ worth of calling. The rates varied. You got a boat load of sms in Germany.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.