Using new iPhone 5s and old 4s with same SIM

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Marty!, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Marty! macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I currently have an iPhone 4s on AT&T. I am considering getting a new 5s (which would have to be subsidized, can't buy out right). If I got a new 5s, could I use the SIM interchangeably with my old 4s? I'd like to keep the 4s for traveling (it is unlocked) and because it is still on iOS6.

Thanks!

Marty!

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You could but you'd need to get a new sim card for your 5s and an adapter for the 4s

3. blarivee macrumors 6502

SIM adapter/converter is the way to go. I used the iPhone 5S nano-SIM in my iPhone 4S while waiting for my iPhone 5S case to arrive :D

4. Marty! thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, so they are different size SIMs! Are the adapters readily available? Like from the AT&T or Apple retail stores?

Thanks again!!

5. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

6. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Or, you can do what I did. I ordered a new nano sim and had my provider activate it for the 5S. Took the old sim card and placed the new nano sim on it and cut around it with a razor blade and made this. It works perfectly for when I wanted to use my nano sim in a 4S or other phone.

Attached Files:

7. Marty! thread starter macrumors newbie

8. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

You can easily purchase one on eBay. I did exactly that, and it only set me back $1.78.

9. iarcty macrumors newbie

I have a similar question: I've upgraded to the 5c and got a new SIM with it, can I use the old SIM on the same AT&T contract with the 4s still and have two phones?
    Thanks!

10. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

11. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

No, only your nano-SIM for the 5c is active. You old 4s SIM would have been deactivated.

12. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

Hey I'm not the seller, but check this out:

http://www.amazon.com/cutter-iPhone-Simcard-Cutter-Micro/dp/B009ERXEDK

I think most people missed the actual question though. I think what OP wanted to know is if he could swap the sim back and forth between the two devices. His reasons were not explained, but a good example might be after the exceptionally good battery life of the 5S runs out, pull the sim out and place it into the 4S. VIOLA, a charged phone with the same phone number....