Using older DDR3 1067MHz RAM in Late '11 MacBook Pro that came with 1333MHz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mgartner0622, Dec 3, 2011.

1. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Hello,
    Well, basically, it's what the title says.
    I used to have a Mid-2010 MacBook Pro that used DDR3 1067MHz RAM. I bought a new Late 2011 model (the high end 15" with CTO Antiglare, 128GB SSD, and 2.5GHz Processor) and put the old ram from my machine in, as it was 8GB instead of 4, and I didn't feel it was necessary to buy new ram considering I already had some I wasn't using.
    I'm not asking if this works, as it does (see screenshot) however I would like to know if this would have a negative impact on my computer's performance... basically, does it impact any other aspect than just not being able to run 266MHz faster?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Jpalessi macrumors member

i did the same thing with different models n in the long run i ran into problems with updates. I eventually maxed it out with the correct ram n it made a huge difference n problems i was having stopped.

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

It may work for a while, but when I tried that the new machine would start to kernel panic after a while. Replaced the 1067 MHz RAM with the correct 1333 MHz RAM and kernel panics stopped.

With RAM as inexpensive as it is, just get the correct RAM.

4. mgartner0622 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Hmm, that's interesting... How often did you have Kernel Panics? It's been a month with the slower RAM now, and my computer has not had any problems.

5. some idiot macrumors member

Do you get the same kernel panic issues if you go with 1600MHz instead of 1333?

6. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

You obviously can use it, but RAM speed is one of the most important aspects of using your computer. Slower RAM will have a general slowdown on everything.

7. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Exactly, because it actually serves to slow the bus speed of the computer down to match the lower speed ram.

Boots and works isn't the same as works efficiently or correctly. 266mhz is a lot at the speed of the data bus.

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I know that's not the question, but you spent a few hundred extra dollars to get the fastest available MBP (cpu upgrade, SSD), then why would you slow it down just to reuse a piece of hardware that costs about $40 new.

I'm not sure what kind of applications benefit from the RAM bus speed, but you're probably wasting the $250 you spent on the CPU upgrade by using this slow RAM. Note that the 2.5 GHz i7 can take 1600 MHz RAM.