Using paypal to buy a craigslist/gumtree item

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by matthunter3, Nov 26, 2009.

1. matthunter3 macrumors newbie

I've found a macbook i'm interested in taking the plunge on, and I'm just wondering if I have any sort of recourse if the worst happens...

So would using paypal, and obviously selecting send money as payment for a good allow me to get any sort of recourse if I got scammed?

Thanks for any help :)

2. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Tell the seller to send it C.O.D.
    Period.

3. matthunter3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Most companies wont offer that sort of thing anymore unfortunately. I'm mainly wondering if i'd be protected. I've spoken to the seller on the phone (unfortunately this wont make me trust them 100%, you can never be sure) and I was the one who raised the option of a paypal payment, as I believe they are safer. Can anyone answer my question though? Is it safe to pay by paypal for an item like this? Would I have any sort of recourse like buyer protection if things went wrong?

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I see nothing on Paypal's site about "buyer protection." I think that's only when you buy thru ebay

5. gerabbi macrumors regular

Craigslist for me:
    meet in a public place
    personally inspect item before buying

I realize this may not always be an option, but it's what I've done with my two purchases.

6. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Since you said it's <i>Craigslist</i>, I am assuming it is a private party. If you cannot meet the seller in person, I would advise you strongly to have them send you your item C.O.D. Especially how high dollar it is. Money talks and bullsh*t walks, if you have the money and want it they shouldn't have an issue doing this for you.
    C.O.D. or nothing. Or take the risk of getting ripped off.
    http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/time/service/value_added/cod.html
    United Parcel has a nice C.O.D. service.
    Shipping should cost around 50 bucks for the least expensive. I did a mock up for you from Salt Lake to San Diego. (Have no idea where you live, so it may be a little more, or a little less, but should be under 60 bucks either way.)
    Don't risk getting ripped off.

Attached Files:

7. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

craigslist+paypal= you are asking to get ripped off.

consider yourself warned :p

8. matthunter3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm from the UK guys, Called the guy up again, asked whether he would be willing to use paypal - he couldn't. He again offered a bank transfer (no way in hell) or for me to come up and see it and pay cash, unfortunately its not possible for me to do that as He lives around 5 hours away.

I have looked into C.O.D services and UPS offers one, but I dont think i'm comfortable with hounding the life out of the guy.

Have a look at the listing anyway, the main thing that drew my suspicions is of course the incredibly low price and the watermark in the pictures.

http://www.gumtree.com/london/14/49786814.html

While I do believe the guy seemed genuine enough, its just not worth it to take such a risk. I bought an iMac using a bank transfer method and all went smooth - but during that I maintained a constant stream of communication with the seller who gave me his mobile, home and work numbers.

9. matthunter3 thread starter macrumors newbie

It doesn't really fit much of them really consultant. Have a look at the link, its mainly the picture that got me suspecting stuff, the watermark in the corner and white margins are a little odd... What do you guys think? Worth my time to offer him to send it UPS C.O.D?

10. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

You wouldn't be hounding him to do a COD. It's fair business. If he lives 5 hours away, it's the only way to do it effectively. If he wants to sell his product, he should be willing to do something like that. It is _not_ asking too much of him. Turnabout is fair play so to speak. COD, so you know what your getting. The UPS guys will not have a problem with you opening the package either before you pay, to verify the contents. Just say no to paypal, cuz he really could just bounce with your moolah.
    Nuff said.

11. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

you'll be wasting your time I think but go ahead and ask for a cod.

12. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

why dont you guys just split the drive time and each drive half way and meet at a mall or something public

13. matthunter3 thread starter macrumors newbie

So, this dude calls me up at like 10am this morning and says he has sorted a paypal thing out. We're on the phone and the line goes dead, and any more calls today haven't been answered. The fact he called back does seem more genuine (Scammers probably wouldn't be up for the fuss). If I can get in contact with him and agree on some terms then i'm just going to get him to send it C.O.D with UPS, it adds an extra £30 shipping but it just seems like its gonna be much safer.

14. chrfr macrumors 603

Remember that a successful scam requires the victim to have enough trust in the scammer to spend money in the first place. There's not a chance I would do a Craigslist deal- as buyer or seller- with Paypal. Craigslist is "cash in hand" exclusively, for me.

15. matthunter3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can definitely see what your saying. Parts of it make me think it is a scam but then other parts of it I see as genuine, he did apparently try and get paypal set up. But if I do get in touch with him again (unlikely) i'm just gonna ask for him to send it UPS C.O.D - if he's genuine he should jump at the chance, he gets cash and I get my macbook. But there are advantages and disadvantages to this, With paypal I can get buyer protection if the item never materialises and using my Debit card I can also do a chargeback in the event of the worst. If he sends me a box of bricks through UPS I have no such option because it looks like its not possible to inspect the item before paying.

16. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

I've actually had a lot of success with paypal, and have had my only claim refunded to me. They've actually upped their protection since I last used the "Buyer Protection". The info is here:

PayPal Buyer Protection

There's a link on that site to all the details of their protection.

17. matthunter3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Paypal is definitely the way to go from doing about 2 hours worth of research - if the worst comes to the worst using a credit/debit card allows me to do a chargeback and I can also file a dispute if things go awry. Just a situation I'm taking a lot of care in because money is money and i'd hate to be out £400+.

But, doesn't change the fact I feel pretty messed about by him now because he called me up and then midway through conversation the phone got cut off and i've tried multiple times to get in contact with him through the day, no answer - at the end of the day he has a sale here he should be professional about it.

18. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

Paypal buyer protection is a joke. The seller, in order to clear his name and cancel your claim, only has to provide a tracking number for a package shipped to your address. That's it. Doesn't matter if he sent you an empty box, or a box with a brick in it; as long as he has a tracking number to prove he shipped *something* to you, that's proof enough for paypal to side with the seller and deny your claim.

Furthermore, if you are somehow able to win your dispute claim, you only get the money refunded to you *IF* paypal can recover the funds from the seller's Paypal account. If the seller has already withdrawn the funds and disappeared (which, if it was a scam, he surely would have) then No Refund For You!!

Paypalsucks.com for many many horror stories.

19. matthunter3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah but like i'm saying paypal has that protection in place, and using a credit or debit card allows me to do a chargeback directly through a bank if the worst comes to the worst.