using rMBP with external monitor disadvantages?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drenline, Apr 7, 2015.

1. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

Hello,

I've just started using my late 2013 rMBP (in closed clamshell mode) with my ASUS VG248QE 24" monitor. Does anyone else use their macbook's as a desktop regularly and have not experienced any issues in the long run?

Also, I was wondering if there are any disadvantages in doing this? Would it have any negative effects towards the battery or cpu/gpu/fans in the future?

Btw, I keep the power cord plugged in while I have it connected to the external display too, I don't really notice the machine getting warm after 1-2 hours of usage.

2. Boneheadxan macrumors regular

Boneheadxan

There are no disadvantages. I run mine shut on some heavy audio sessions (85C, fans running high) all the time. At times, even driving 2 ACD's, a whole lot of interfaces and gear hooked up as well. :)

Recently, I've started playing Battlefield 4 on mine. Fans run at max. Not sure, how long this could run :p

3. drenline thread starter macrumors 6502a

drenline

Oh alright, thanks for the reply.

I was a little concerned with the heat, if it was directly going up into my retina display or not, and possibly ruining the display too. I think I should be fine tho.

But mannn...I don't know if I could ever play a high consumption game like BF4 on my macbook, even with the lid open! Lol. But I do run into players that use their MBP's for online FPS gaming every now and then. It's pretty impressive.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe heat dissipation may be a small issue, I keep my lid up, when connected to an external monitor.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I keep my lid open when connected and use it as a second monitor.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Coming to Macrumors makes me feel like I'm entering an OCD anonymous meeting.

No offense OP, but if Apple hadn't designed their computers with that usage in mind, then you wouldn't be able to do it.

Use it however you like, it's not a precious work of art, it's just a computer.

Keep it plugged in at all times if you like, the battery'll croak in 3-5 years simply due to age, no matter how much you try to take care of it.