Using Siri in public...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by motoleo, Feb 24, 2012.

1. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Would you? Do you? How do people react?

Do you have any funny stories about something that occurred while using Siri in public, and what do you use it for?

Do you find it to be embarrassing at times, does it make you look dumb, or do people find it cool?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I do every once in a while, and nobody seems to notice or care. It's really no big deal.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't know why you care what others think if you use Siri in public. Rest assured that talking to Siri will never make one look more foolish than one who walks around with a bluetooth thingy in their ear. :D

4. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Not gonna lie, for a while I was hesitant to use Siri in public, but now I see a few people here and there using it in public. I'm getting to the point where I don't care.

5. HERO XXL macrumors regular

When I've observed others using Siri in public, It's always seemed so...awkward. More of a "Look what I have" moment rather than "This-is here-for-my-convenience-so-let-me-utilize-it-now" moment. When it did happen, Siri was either off line, the "ping" cut them off while they were asking the question, or it wasn't understood. Embarrassing. As a result, I've opted not to--aside from setting my timer to avoid an expired meter. To me--THAT'S acceptable (and less obnoxious). You can really differentiate those who REALLY utilize Siri from those who are being totally obnoxious for others. I seem to have an issue with running the risk of coming off as looking extremely obnoxious in public!!

6. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

I know that's why I use it- just to show it off.

Hm-hm.

Hm!

Preach.

That happens. All. The. Time.

The thing is, it's silly because you're holding the phone anyway, it's dumb to ask it, when you could obviously just tap the app and be done with it.

However, if Siri was able to talk without pressing the home button, or if it talked more (like read news stories), or if it started to do things that were useful, if it could multitask... it would be good. Siri is better used however, with the mic headphones, that is a perfect use.

SIRI NEEDS TO HAVE SOMETHING IMPORTANT TO SAY.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What does that even mean?

Siri is there to help you do something when you either don't want to type it manually, or are otherwise occupied (walking, driving, etc). It's not a friend and nothing to really show off.

8. HERO XXL macrumors regular

HAHA!
    I appreciate your honesty! If it weren't beset with so many glitches, I'd probably feel the same!
    To be honest, though--I'm amused when someone does it and it doesn't work! it's like i wanna help them dig the hole that they want to jump in.
    ...and agreed--I've also come to the conclusion that it takes entirely too much time to do what it sets out to do as opposed to me simply doing it myself.
    (as far as setting my timer, however, it's PERFECT!)

In regards to reading news stories: In case you werent aware: Settings, General, Accessibility, Speak selection to "on". Now, you can highlight a paragraph or whatever and tap "speak". Siri will now read whatever you've highligted. Very useful when I'm on the treadmill and I have chapters to read!

9. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

That's not necessarily true. As someone who uses Notes and Reminders religiously, having Siri create them is a much faster way than unlocking my phone, finding said apps and them typing them out. Siri isn't just about asking questions. Siri's about getting things done faster and easier than be other means. Hell, I don't even use my contact list anymore to call or text anyone. It's much easier (and safer if driving) to just say, "Call Bob", than unlock, open, scroll, tap name, tap phone number.

Of course I couldn't care less what people think of me when using Siri in public. I'm the guy telling my phone to remind me to get Cinnamon Toast Crunch when I get to the grocery store. (Tip: Add the local stores you go to the most to your Contacts and you can get reminders when you arrive there.)

10. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Siri can be a very powerful tool if she was given more responsibility. Using Siri looks really good when having a conversation with it.

I've had my iPhone sitting next to my laptop, talking to it without touching the home button. While I'm sitting there typing away, I can have Siri do something useful. At this point, I wish I could say to Siri,

"help me with my with this science project"

or

"pull up document, 12."

"read it to me"

or

What's the 18th amendment to the constitution? or, "Who sung these lyrics?"

Don't give Siri tasks that you could easily do yourself in quicker time. Reminders and notes work really well. But something simple like, "What's the weather." It lowers our intelligence. I know people are thinking, "Why is he asking it about the weather when he could just tap the weather app." If Siri could answer questions about the chance of rain, then it would be acceptable.

I asked Siri when the sun will set, that's acceptable.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If you hold the phone up to your ear to use it then I don't know why anyone would think you're doing anything different than all the other people making cell phone calls.

12. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

.........they never do that in the commercials.......

13. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Who cares what it LOOKS like?

Siri is a piece of technology, not an all-knowing human assistant.

So, don't ask that. Ask, "what's the chance of rain?" or "Will I need an umbrella?"

Again, who cares? Why does it bother you?

Just did. It said, "No rain in sight." :confused:

14. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

I don't want to annoy people.

But I also want to be deeply engaged into the conversation with Siri- not just superficially. What Siri is now is like "Pretend voice control"...

I was kind of thinking more along the lines of, "A 10 percent chance of rain."

I wonder what will happen when there's a storm brewing and you ask about it. Right now, she just says "No tornadoes, or no hurricanes."

But I wonder what she'd say when there actually is one.

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I think if you're in a quiet setting ANY talking can be annoying. The fact that you're thinking of this probably means you're fairly considerate.

I use Siri in public sometimes but only if my voice is adequately drowned out by other noise.

16. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Since you only use it to look cool and show off (seriously?), why doues it matter how it functions?

17. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If Siri had come before Bluetooth headsets, I would likely have been more hesitant. I remember when they first came out I always thought people were insane, talking to themselves while drinking their coffee, having lunch, etc. Now it's pretty commonplace to be talking into a device. Nobody notices anymore.

18. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have done so just once...Last Christmas. I was waiting for a train and the platform was all but deserted. I started making reminders and sending some texts ( I had been at a funeral ) to catch up with stuff.

A girl appeared from way down the platform and asked if she could try. Pretty soon I had a little gathering.

I've never done it since...I wasn't see conscious, just didn't need the attention...I guess it's more mainstream now.

19. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

I only show it off because that's all I really can do. I see a group of people, then I sit there, waiting around the corner and hold down the home button while I think of something legitimate to ask, then I walk past them using it, hoping for a comment or a reaction.

I did get one from this lady in Walgreens, she said, "Those phones are cool huh?!" others just sit and watch.

That's all I can do. Siri is not legitimately useful.

I wish it was, so that I could have a reason to use it. You don't have freedom to ask it whatever you want. It's really pretend voice control.

20. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

There are certain things that can be done much quicker by using Siri. It's not a matter of showing off or even caring about what others think, but simply using the tools available to you.

...and who's holding their phone? More often than not, my phone is in my pocket and I have the earbuds or other headphones on. It's great to be able to push a button to change playlists, set alarms, call or send texts, and countless other things- all without taking the phone out.

21. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You need to gave more fun in your life.

22. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

You are THAT Apple fan that people are always referring to. You are basically only using Siri to advertise you have a 4S and get comments.

Siri is very useful when using it correctly.

23. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I agree, asking for help with a science project is a bit much. But asking it to read something to you or pull up a document doesn;t seem like too much to ask. The third party modders have gotten that taken care of already with siri addons...

24. motoleo, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012

motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

You're absolutely right sir. Never before have we been able to request a specific song to be played while the device is in our pockets.

In this case, Siri is VERY useful. I did that this morning.

Hypothetically, it would go like this:

Me: Siri, help me with this science project.

Siri: OK. What do you need done?

Me: I need you to pull up a list of gasses that are flammable. Email them to me. Make the most dangerous ones in bold print. Label it, Dangerous Gases.

Siri: I'm on it. Done.

Me: Thank you so much.

Siri: You're welcome.

Easy peasy.

25. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

If someone see's you talking to Siri, wouldn't they just think you are on a phone call with someone? That wouldn't look weird to me.