Using "SIRI" to place a call

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Slicktype, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Slicktype macrumors 6502

Slicktype

Let's say you have the same name listed 3 times under contacts example: Dan , Dan desk , Dan work, And now you ask SiRI to call "Dan".
    She will than respond: who would you like to call? Dan ? Dan desk ? Or Dan work ?

This is very frustrating because I am not asking to call Dan desk. Iam asking to call "dan".
    Is there a way to set SiRI up to when asked to call "Dan". To not ask which Dan I would like to call, but to just place the call to "Dan" ?.
    Thanks

2. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

Chill out dude and just change his name to "Danny" - problem solved - :)

3. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

No, she's reading those like names and that's how it works.

4. robot62155 macrumors member

It should say "Would you like to call dan, dan work or dan cell." Just say Dan. Or do what that other guy said and put his name under Danny

5. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Or add a nickname, so Siri can detect who you're wanting to call.

6. Slicktype thread starter macrumors 6502

Slicktype

I'll try that out.

----------

I don't see why I should have to change my contact name. Just because I have a certain name listed 3 times does not mean I want to be given a choice of which to call when prompted. This issue should be fixed.

7. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

I don't see why you have to complain about a beta version of siri when I just gave you an easy work-around. Good Luck my friend, I'm outta here - :)

8. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Adding the nickname is a great and easy work around.

9. SplicedBanjo macrumors regular

This seems like a feature to me, not an issue. If you give Siri ambiguous input, obviously she will need clarification. How else could it possibly work? It isn't psychic.

What's the big deal about giving two inputs anyway? In ancient times, people would have to remember and input SEVEN digits to call someone... :rolleyes:

10. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

So if you have the same name listed 3 different times, you don't want Siri to ask/ confirm which one you want to call? Yeah, that sounds like it'd work out much better.... :rolleyes:

11. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

More if it was a long distance call!

12. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

I need to input 10 + the international calling codes.

13. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

first do you have three different contacts with his name? why not one with the three numbers .you can then label the numbers what you will, then say call dan home and siri will dial the home number.

14. fs454 macrumors 68000

This is user-fault, not a Siri issue.

iPhone contacts are set up First Name, Last Name or the opposite. The fields are designed like that by default. So, Siri expects you to have inputted your contacts like they intended, using full names. If you don't, and stray from this, obviously you're straying from what they designed Siri to work from.

If all Dans are the same person but alternate numbers, make it one contact, and add his home/desk/work within the contact. It's built to do this.

If they're three different people, use last names. Or simply make a nickname for regular Dan.

Not an issue, it's just doing what would make sense if there were three different Dans.

15. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Yep, this.

If Siri were a real, live, personal assistant, you'd still expect her to ask you which Dan given the way that you've inputted those three Dans into your address book. How else would she know whom to dial?

16. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Beta come on man, that is the lamest excuse in earth. Is it really Beta when there are millions of copies in production and it is a touted feature of the 4S? Um doesn't matter what Apple decides to call it, it's not Beta.

Not saying the guy is right just. Any stand the Beta comments.

Yes this is exactly right. Creat a single contact and then say call Dan cell, call Dan work, etc....

17. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Works fine with 1 contact 'call dan home'

18. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It worked for Gmail for over 5 years.

19. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

You really need to consolidate your address book. Personally I have all my contacts on google and use google exhance to manage all my contacts.

You should have Dan on there once...then list each of his phone numbers on the same contact (office, mobile, home, fax, etc).

The good thing about google is that you can go into google and consolidate all your contacts if they happen to be in there more than once.

I also found it works better to not list a contact as "MOM" or "DAD" List them with their first and last name, then in the "company" line, put in what they are to you.

You need to start with organization. Life will get easier after you do that.

20. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

This should be common sense. If you have a disorganized address book how can you blame Siri? Would you blame a human assistant the same way?

I don't understand why you think Siri should know which Dan to call if you have three contacts with the same name.

21. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Exactly, and it sees Work and Desk as Dan's last name.

22. Slicktype thread starter macrumors 6502

Slicktype

Thanks everyone for the reply's. I guess my contacts needed some reorganizing / editing .
    The fix that worked the best was to only have the name listed once and to just add Work,Home,Desk etc..

Thanks
    JP

23. robjulo macrumors 6502a

No one paid for gmail.

24. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

Exactly. That is what I've done with people who have multiple numbers and it's work out perfectly.

They should document this a little better, I think. There's so much going on that's wonderful with iOS 5, but much of it isn't even documented.

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, Siri is improved over old voice control in that now you can say "Call Dan's mobile phone" or the like and (once you've re-organized your contacts) it will just call the number you want. On Voice Control (unless they updated this at some point?) it used to be that you had to say "Call Dan" and then be prompted.

(My Siri gripe is that it has mostly worked fine, but the last time I tried to call my girlfriend by full name, Siri spelled her name almost right but still kept telling me she wasn't in my contacts book. That was really irritating, as I was driving at the time. I think there's a way to teach Siri that someone is your girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife, etc, and maybe I need to do that. :rolleyes: )