Using Softbank (Japan) 4S on US Verizon Network

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by audiotronica, Feb 5, 2013.

1. audiotronica macrumors newbie

Hi there, I tried searching but couldn't find an answer. Asking for a friend.

I am trying to use a CDMA iPhone 4s 5.1.1. firmware from Softbank in Japan on the Verizon network in the US. Normally I would buy a Gevey to unlock and insert my SIM like on AT&T, but Verizon told me that they didn't use SIM cards on their 4S models so using a Gevey SIM tray or similar mod wouldn't be possible. Is this true? Is there no other option for me to use my Verizon subscription in the US on my Softbank 4S? Without a SIM card how do Verizon users access their service through iPhones? Please let me know if you do and thanks for the help.

2. marc11 macrumors 68000

Are you saying you have a Softbank phone, you have left Japan and you want to use it in the USA not under the Softbank contract, but under a Verizon contract?

If so, I think the answer is no. Softbank will not unlock your phone, EVER, so you would have been better off selling it in Japan...it is what I am doing next month before I leave.

There are some unlocking services for certain Softbank phones out there, but I have no idea how legit they are.

3. Baggio, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013

Baggio macrumors 6502

There is no unlock for CDMA. The only way the CDMA version could work on Verizon is if the phone's ESN number can be added to Verizon's network. Not sure if any of the carriers would cooperate.

Other options are to use the GSM slot on AT&T, T-Mobile, Straight Talk or Net 10. If the SIM is unlocked you can just pop in a SIM and be set. If it isn't unlocked you will either have to get unlocked by your carrier or a third party. It would be a factory IMEI unlock. If that is not possible either a Gevey or Turbo SIM adapter could be used to unlock the phone.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not gonna happen.
    Verizon wont let it activate on their network.

5. audiotronica thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes this is exactly what I'm trying to do.

So it seems that even if I get the phone unlocked by some other way, Verizon will not authorize it to be used on their network. Correct? Thanks for the help everyone.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Pretty much.
    Verizon will only allow phones sold under their network to operate on it.
    You can use any unlocked GSM phone or iphone with plenty of other carriers in the US besides verizon.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This pretty much. They are going to make you buy a handset for their network. Just go with AT&T man.