Using someone else's upgrade when preordering

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cscottrun, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Cscottrun macrumors 6502

So I know this has been discussed before but I can't find the thread.

I'm going to be using a family members upgrade for the new iPhone. Ill then take the phone and put it on my line. The line that has the eligble upgrade does not have a data plan. I just want to be sure I have this correct. Ill preorder on Apple.com and it will tell me that I need a data plan. Ill choose the cheapest data package and choose the new iphone. When it comes, I have to take it to ATT for them to switch it to my line? Will they allow me to cancel the new data package I added in order to upgrade? Or am I stuck paying a data plan on a phone line that doesnt even have a smart phone?

2. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

Basically preorder the phone as if for the line with the upgrade. When the phone gets shipped to your house, call AT&T and tell them what you want to do. They will easily set it up so the new phone works for your line instead of the other.

3. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Sorry for the bump; just didn't want to make a new thread. Can anyone confirm this is the case? Seems like that would be ripe for abuse.

- I have a 4S with an unlimited data plan (grandfathered). I'm only eligible for the ~$450 early upgrade price.

- My mother, who is on the same family plan, has had the same dumbphone for ~4 years and is content using that. She would be fine letting me use her upgrade eligibility for an iPhone 5 for my own personal use.

-If I were to pre-order an iPhone 5 with her number, I'd have to sign up with a data package, as she doesn't currently have one, of course.

-When the phone arrives, I can just go to AT&T's store and cancel the data plan on her line? She can continue using her old dumbphone, and will not be required to pay for any data? And I'll have no problems using that phone on my line, and I can keep my unlimited data?

Seems to me like AT&T wouldn't be happy subsidizing a phone because of a data plan... and then not getting the data plan paid for.

Thanks!

4. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Happy or not, the fact remains that a customer is not required to maintain a data plan on a dumb phone. They will get paid for the data plan on the smart phone.

5. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

Does AT&T not let you switch the upgrade to any line prior to the purchase? That seems dumb.

6. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Do other carriers allow that? I've always been in the AT&Tosphere, and never heard of such a thing.

7. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

Verizon lets me log onto my account and I can take the upgrade from any line and move it to a different one. I have 4 lines and basically always have 2 upgrades waiting.

8. Cingular macrumors regular

I don't think that's possible. When you get the phone you are also getting a 2 year contract of data and voice.

9. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Yes you can cancel the data plan on her line. And again, yes, you will be fine using the phone on your line with the unlimited data.