Using the dji spark for photography!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by fabianvs, Jul 5, 2017.

1. fabianvs macrumors regular

fabianvs

2. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Yeah,drones are great for aerial photography sometimes,but always remember this:
    Never ever fly drones close to airfields or radar stations withouth a proper permission.
    Never ever fly drones near secret military installations like naval bases or defence systems.
    Never ever use your drone in places where it can interfere with other people's integrity rights. (Do not fly over private gardens or nudist areas).
    Remember,for your own good,not to fly drones over water,if drone get problems,it will do an automatic emergency landing,and if that happens over water,well,I lost one drone and my old GoPro hero that way.

3. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I find that the most interesting drone footage/photography is usually when the camera is pointing straight down. It's easier to see interesting shapes from that perspective as it makes you work out what the content is. In a normal 'front on' perspective, your brain has already made the call before you realise it and so you have less reason to see the shapes and just notice buildings/people etc.

4. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Is portability the reason for getting this? I was thinking of the Phantom 3 to photograph our new home as it is being built.

Your pictures look great.

5. fabianvs thread starter macrumors regular

fabianvs

Definitely make good points. The dji app is good at no fly zones and won’t fly at all in some areas
    --- Post Merged, Jul 6, 2017 ---
    Yup! Still a new viewpoint in photography. The possibilities are endless !
    --- Post Merged, Jul 6, 2017 ---
    Thanks! The pics looks really really good after Lightroom touchups. Yes, portability is #1 reason to get this IMO

6. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

I am really keen to explore the follow technology. To see how good it is at following fast action. Any view on that other than the obvious battery life issues?

7. fabianvs thread starter macrumors regular

fabianvs

If you are interested in the tracking feature I would recommend the Phantom series or maybe the Mavic

8. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Thank you so much for the video and the sample pictures. I've been wondering how the Spark fares, as I've been wanting to purchase my first drone but don't quite have $1000 to shell out for the Mavic Pro. Will definitely consider this.

9. fabianvs thread starter macrumors regular

fabianvs

Hey! Thanks for the feedback. I’m glad it was useful for you. Honestly you won’t be disappointed with the spark, it is FUN to use. The video and photos are quite good when considering the price tag. I am sure version 2 will have 4K and THAT will be awesome. Also the spark doesn’t shoot RAW which I was disappointed in :-( besides that I have no regrets !

10. imac wannabe macrumors regular

Everything looks better from the air! Go for it. This is a Phantom Vision 2+, old technology compared to today:

[​IMG]Untitled by Paul Kohler, on Flickr

11. fabianvs thread starter macrumors regular

fabianvs

Woah nice quality still !!

12. fabianvs thread starter macrumors regular

fabianvs

13. imac wannabe macrumors regular

14. Zaqfalcon macrumors 6502

Hi, fabianvs, thanks for the nice video. I have a couple of questions if I may; can the camera be pointed directly downwards? Does the camera have a photo intervalometer for taking a shot every two seconds for example? Can you set a flight path such as a grid over an area? Thanks!

15. Indydenny macrumors 6502

Indydenny

16. fabianvs thread starter macrumors regular

fabianvs

17. Indydenny macrumors 6502

Indydenny

Sorry to answer for you, but I must say I enjoy talking about the new little drone! ;-)

18. fabianvs thread starter macrumors regular

fabianvs

It is a lot of fun! :)

19. mrnorwegian macrumors member

Nice video. Been thinking about getting one since my Phantom Standard is a little big and unpractical.

20. fabianvs thread starter macrumors regular

fabianvs

I’d take a look at mavic deals. I think it’s a better investment! 4K quality and the size is not that big.

21. Hawkeye.71 macrumors newbie

Hawkeye.71

Hi Fabianvs
    This thread hasn't been active for a while, yet I thought I might revive i for a few questions. I am a long time backpacker, travelling the world for just over 3 years now. Always wanted to get a drone, but only recently saw one in action with one of my fellow travelers, and I was blown away. How did I not have one of those since the beginning. Such amazing footage I could have taken (numerous active volcanoes I trekked in Indonesia, trekking in the Himalaya of Nepal and India, Amazing islands in Vietnam and the Philippines, Jungles, wildlife, you get the point).
    So now (still travelling), I have the opportunity to pick up a dji drone from an official dealler, and I plan to seize the opportunity before I continue my travels.
    My needs are mostly taking photos, and some videos, although I don't take so many of those during my trips. I am lazy to edit them. Photos are incredible from a bird's eye (and my nickname is randomly chosen way before, for regular photos, but beffiting even more to our subject), and I would also like to have the flexibility to take photos of places and angles I cannot reach in person.
    So, I zoomed in on 2 drones, the Mavic Pro and the Spark.
    I am inclined to go with the Spark, mostly due to its superior portability. As a backpacker it is extremely important. Weight is always an issue, and the fact that it seems to be not so intimidating to other people around and (hopefully) will attract less attention. also, since I haven't flown a drone before, I didn't want to crush a very expensive one, potentially ;), so I thought the Spark could be a good start. I don't really care too much about the 4k video, I have it in my camera, and the only use I have for it is to grab frames out of the clips.
    But a few things really bother me.

1) The flying time. It seems that very quickly 12 minutes will simply not be enough for me, if I start to be more creative with taking photos and videos. It seems that by the time it takes to fly the drone, and position it, you would simply be very pressured with the remaining time before you have to return it home, to really enjoy yourself. I might be wrong, but how much of issue is it in your experience?

2) Also, the range of the Spark bothers me. I am pretty sure that I would soon feel that I want to go higher and farther and explore new places, especially go higher (I saw a video on youtube that the Mavic went as high as 2500m in the air, with software alteration, it's amazing to try in remote areas), I am afraid, I would regret buying the Spark when I realize how limited I am with it. Again, is that really an issue, in your experience? I know the Spark can go as far as 2km and even more, (I saw a video of it going as high as 1000m in the air).

3) Also, the price issue. I can afford buying the Mavic, but It is double the price almost, with the combo pack, and as much as I am aware of the obvious advantages of it, I am not sure it is worth the difference, for my needs.

Thanks for reading, hope it is not too long, but I am really struggling here for a few days already, cannot decide: better performance in exchange for a higher weight, size and price. Appreciate your prompt response.

22. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I don’t have a Spark but I do have a Mavic and it’s very reasonable in terms of weight when hiking. I would recommend the Mavic as it can probably handle stronger winds more easily and will give you better flight time.

The Mavic is probably the best drone you can buy for recreational/travel use so if price isn’t an issue, you won’t be disappointed in the Mavic. You might not want 4K now but you’ll appreciate down the road when it becomes standard. Also, the price difference you’re seeing might be a Spark without a controller and the Mavic combo pack. Add a Spark controller and extra batteries and it might make more sense.

Saying that, the Spark does look like a lot of fun. I wish I knew someone with one.

23. Hawkeye.71 macrumors newbie

Hawkeye.71

Thanx for your answer. I already know the Mavic is an amazing drone. No question about it. But size and the time it takes to launch the spark is a lot better. As small as the Mavic is, it's huge compared to the Spark. Therefore, I was interested to hear from someone who owns both and can give me his opinion from his experience if there is such a big difference in performance that will jusitfy the extra weight and the 600$ difference (here (Saigon, Vietnam) it is 700$ for the Spark combo pack vs. 1299$ for the Mavic combo pack, I cannot pick it up in the U.S, unfortunately)