Using the iPhone 4S abroad (charges, from the UK)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajo, Nov 7, 2011.

1. ajo macrumors 6502

I have not (yet) upgraded to an iPhone 4S, one thing that I have noticed though is that you cant turn 3G off.

Every time I travel abroad with my last iPhones I have turned off data roaming and 3G

How does this now work with the iPhone 4S, is 3G left on?

I want to still be able to make and recieve calls and texts when away, just not get charged loads for data.

Thanks

ajo

2. jeutie macrumors member

jeutie

You can still turn off data roaming. Then you wouldn't utilize 3G. The 3G toggle has been removed because of the new chip. If you want to be absolutely sure that you don't have any data, turn off the actual 'data' (Above the roaming toggle I think.)

3. ajo thread starter macrumors 6502

Currently on my iPhone 4 if I turn off data roaming, 3G stll stays on.. is this maybe because I am in the UK where my contract is so it uses it anyway?

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Just got back from France. The roaming switch should by default be off. Don't worry about 3G

5. ajo thread starter macrumors 6502

Wont leaving 3G on use data when abroad, or is it only when you are under your usual provider?

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No. 3G does not imply data usage. When your phone says 3G and you make a call you are still using the 3G network and using voice minutes not data. If you turn off data roaming you will not use any data regardless of whether 3G is on. This is the core reason there were different toggles in the first place: turning 3G on and off is 100% separate from turning data on and off.

7. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

Yes. "Roaming" is using (data, in this case) services whilst out of your normal providers area, ie, abroad.