Using Time Machine to transfer info to new iMac. iLife 08 to iLife 09

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by junyea, Mar 9, 2009.

1. junyea macrumors newbie

So I already placed my order for my new iMac. I have a MacBook (2006) with iLife 08.

My question is: When I get to transfer my MacBook info into my new iMAC, will i encounter any problems with my iLife files being that I have iLife 08, and the new iMac's come with iLife 09? The Time Machine transfer won't bring the new iMac software back to 08 will it?

Just want to be sure before I set this up.

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

The first time you start up your new iMac, it'll give you the option of transferring your old files to it by either connecting your old computer or using a Time Machine backup. You can transfer the files right then and there at startup, or use the program "Migration Assistant" (in your Utilities folder) to take care of the process at a later time.

It will give you the option of what you want transferred. So if you want just your user folder, then you can transfer and choose not to transfer applications. I believe that it will create a separate folder containing the older apps (so that iLife '09 won't overwrite iLife '08). However, I couldn't tell you for sure -- maybe someone else can answer that. To be on the safe side though, and seeing as you don't want lose iLife '09, I probably would just choose not to transfer applications when it asks you.

Oh, and side note: Just so you know, typing "MAC" isn't the same as "Mac". When you type MAC in all capital letters, it actually means "Media Access Control", which is a term used in networking multiple computers together, including PCs. Sometimes it can just be a little confusing if you type the wrong one. :)

So, for future reference, just know that a Mac is a Mac... especially when asking tech questions online! (It looks better than typing all caps, too!)

3. junyea thread starter macrumors newbie

So i took note on the MAC vs Mac. Thank for the education. :) Always good

Hmmmm...I wanna make sure that I am able to avoid the overwrite. it would be easy maybe if I just try the transfer. If the overwrite happens, could I extract only the iLife 09 apps upgrade from the startup disk that is given with my new Mac?

I want all my applications to be placed on my new Mac, and I would hate to lose them or have to reinstall them all due to not wanting to overwrite iLife

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

That is true, if worse came to worse and the iLife '09 apps were overwritten, you could reinstall them by using the discs that come with the computer. Good point.