Using UK 3 iPhone in USA, carriers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Schtumple, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Ok so, as the title states, I have an iPhone 4 (on 3), I live in the UK, I'd like to continue using my iPhone 4 in the USA, my question is, given the difference in bands used in the USA, does this mean I'm stuck to AT&T and Verizon (with no 3G).

Are there any local carriers in CA I could use or given my micro sim am I shunted to the big carriers?

Here in the UK, we have 1 month rolling pay sim only monthly contracts, that you can cancel with a months notice, which would be ideal for me. Do any US carriers have that kind of plan? If so, do any offer micro sims :p

Note: I will be jail breaking my iPhone, but I don't want to get into what jailbreak I should use etc etc. I know how to do all that, I just want advice on the best carrier to go with given my needs.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

There four main carriers in the US are T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint. You can only use T-Mobile and AT&T because they use GSM technology (what your iPhone has).

The only problem with T-Mobile is that, although probably cheaper than AT&T, you only get Edge speeds. They aren't extremely terrible, but Edge is Edge.

Personally I'd just avoid using any of the "big 4" just because the process to get started and to cancel can be annoying and possibly expensive.

They have this carrier called "Red Pocket" and it runs off of AT&T's network, so you would most likely get similar coverage/speeds. You can order a SIM on Amazon and it's PAYG so it's fairly simple to use.

3. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Yes I'd suggest using Red Pocket (Make sure you install the red pocket APN before landing in the US). You can get a sim on ebay uk. Also remember to get 3 to unlock the iPhone.