Using Unison for UseNet. Says my usrname and pswd are wrong but i cant re-enter them!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jowin, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Jowin macrumors newbie

Hey, this is my first ever post on here. I've just got myself an iMac after becoming completely fed up of that mess of an OS commonly referred to as Windows....I've used this site a lot to get over some very "noobie" problems i had so thanks to the forum for that i guess lol

Right, my problem is as the title says. I've just decided to get into using usenet and i've got myself a membership with Giganews. I downloaded the 3 day trial of Unison and entered giganews' address and my username and password for giganews. It searched for news groups and found nothing and came up with an error message saying that my username and password could be wrong. Oh i thought, i'll just go back and check i entered it right.......nope!....cant do that im affraid :( There's no option anywhere to sign out and in etc or re-enter details.

I tried removing usenet and installing it again to see if it would come back to the setup phase but it just remembered my details from before... I checked the unison website and found nothing in the support section for this, i e-mailed them but they said it'll take a few business days by which time my trial period will be over!

Anyone know how i can go back and check i entered my details correctly?

cheers for any help!!

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Unison saves your username/pass in the keychain, so you can delete your existing incorrect ones via keychain access in your /Applications/Utilities folder.

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Easy.

Go to the Unison menu (next to the Apple menu) and select Preferences. Click the Server button and then the Edit Servers button. Change username and password (and make sure you have the correct server address it should be news.giganews.com or news-europe.giganews.com), quit and relaunch and away you go.

4. Jowin thread starter macrumors newbie

haha, school boy error!

I forgot that in mac the toolbar at the top changes to the toolbar of whatever application you have open at the time. I was looking for a way to do this in the main Unison screen!

Still getting the same error message though! I tried using iGrabNews too and with that when you click search for news groups it just doesn't do anything. This is quite frustrating :(