Using unlocked iPhone 5S on Sprint

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macmaster007, Sep 1, 2014.

1. macmaster007 macrumors newbie

I recently purchased and repaired an iPhone 5S and then proceeded to unlock it, all is well and it's working amazingly on T-Mobile (original was AT&T), however now I am considering switching to Sprint. Sprint has better coverage than T-Mobile, and I will be able to get unlimited talk text and data for $40 (by adding to my brothers plan). Now I researched this, and have come to a mixed conclusion. All Verizon iPhone 5S' have CDMA and GSM capabilities along with being GSM unlocked, however it is not possible to activate a Verizon iPhone 5S on Sprint (except in a few rare cases I've read about). I was thinking about resigning myself to getting a Sprint 5S but then I noticed something peculiar on my phone. Can someone explain to me why I'm seeing both Verizon and Sprint on my (supposedly CDMA-off'd) iPhone 5S? I am aware that activating a non-Sprint device to Sprint is not easy (bordering on impossible) however I am curious to have an answer to this.

Attached Files:

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Simple answer.
    Not possible.
    This is a gsm only iPhone.
    You cannot activate or use it on any CDMA carrier.

3. sjperformance macrumors 6502

sjperformance

No possible. Want sprint....get a sprint phone. Only option.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

To add to this: even if the Phone had CDMA capability, Sprint will not activate it unless it was originally intended to be on Sprint. Even if you buy a Verizon iPhone, Sprint will not activate it, even though it might be unlocked and even thought it has the ability to operate on Sprint's CDMA network.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

6. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

think twice about sprint, their the worst carrier in the states, very unfriendly towards consumers, harsh unlock policies, terrible 3G speeds (below 500kbps) you'll be better off with a MVNO using at&t infrastructure like a gsm version of straight talk