Using Water For Gas - An idea past its prime, or the next big thing?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cleverboy, May 22, 2008.

?

What do you think of Water-for-Gas?

1. I'd like convert my car in the future.

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. I like the idea, but I'd never do it.

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. Never heard of it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. This is a big scam. Come on now.

15 vote(s)
    68.2%
  1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Okay. So, an idea that's been around for a while... convert water-to-gas, and improve your gas mileage by leaps and bounds. Sounds strange, but its apparently true.

The question is... how many of you folks have tried this?

Water for Gas?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGaesE0kUDw

Was the Water Car Inventor Murdered in '98?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6yRn4IAsrU

Run Your Car on Water Today
    PART 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8stApCmxYEM
    PART 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h75_TGiwg78

Boosted by the rising gas prices, the Internet is exploding with websites, like Water4Gas.com, that sell details on how to convert you own cars fuel system. Looking at the Wikipedia entry for Stanley Meyer makes one feel less than confident about the claims being made:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Meyer

And yet...

Project Energy - Water Fuel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhSP8b1OBAg

Water Engine - Untold Misteries
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_21KafrwRc

~ CB

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i think it'd be better to find a renewable form of powering cars. even the used veggie oil cars are probably a better conversion overall.

3. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Given that clean water is supposed to be the 'new oil' of the future (in terms of scarcity and political importance) then it would be both ironic and dangerous to replace petrol with it.

4. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Would it? The real question is NOT about "clean water", but given that the entire planet is made UP of mostly water, whether or not this process can put to better use, the water that is already out there not really being effectively utilized (sea water, dirty water, etc). It seems like your car doesn't really care if the water is potable. Right now desalination is a huge deal. It'd be remarkeable if an excuse were invented to move the water from the coasts, such that even if not used in desalination efforts, it could be used for fuel economy.

~ CB

5. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I'd use it in the short term, but I wouldn't want a conversion. I'd prefer that whatever powers my next vehicle be the widely accepted, manufactured and supported norm.

Why short term? Because renewable energy -- energy that is self-sustainable and naturally replenished -- is the only long-term solution, IMO.

6. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You would still have to have an amazing amount of energy to separate the hydrogen, far more than a regular alternator can handle.

8. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Do a google search on Alchemy and you'll see that there is a long history of this sort of thing (turning lead into gold, etc). If you want to see the technically possible that the car manufacturers literally killed, watch the movie "Who Killed the Electric Car?" You'll be quite angry by the end of the movie since technology available 10 years ago is being kept from us due to the greed of the auto makers and oil companies.

9. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

10. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i suppose he ended up scamming the wrong investor....

11. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Shouldn't we be trying to conserve water as well?

12. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

What amuses me is that we have three legendary elements that could power our vehicles. Water, Air, and Fire. We've been using fire forever (combustion engines). Air has barely been given a chance (compressed or otherwise, Google "air car"), and water always seems JUST around the corner... but never quite there. The industry as it is, seems to want us to continue with FIRE into the foreseeable future. Anything else is too dangerous. Watching the movie "The Prestige", and the very riveting comments of Tesla, about what the world will accept... is daunting. Change is chaotic and destructive. If anyone every truly invented a device that turned water into viable fuel... they'd certainly HAVE to be silenced, one way or the other.

~ CB

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

They just need to develop a car that runs off urine. Plenty of it, and it's free.

Although, I suppose women might have a problem filling up their tank. Would be pretty easy for us guys though :D

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Here's the deal: If there was a way to significantly increase fuel efficiency with something a simple and cheap as water, it would already be offered by all major car manufacturers. After all, wouldn't that be one hell of a selling point?

It's just not feasible; it takes more energy to create hydrogen from water than the amount of energy produced from the combustion of that hydrogen.

Based on the absurd conspiracy theory, these people are probably just extremely self-deluded.

15. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

You're kidding, right? If you watched the movie "Who Killed the Electric Car", one of the significant problems with the EV-1 (as far as the car manufacturers are concerned), is that the lack of a combustion engine suddenly killed the appeal of aftermarket parts. I don't want to be a conspiracy monger, but logically speaking... if someone were to invent an engine that generates hydrogen from water in a manner that requires signficantly less energy than it produces, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to do the math. Hydrogen is more energy efficient than oil. This person would need to be bought out by the energy interests, sued, or killed.

I kept mulling over ways of bypassing those that would be opposed to the invention, but it would pretty much strike a blow to every sector of every economy on the face of the planet. No-conspiracy needed there.

~ CB

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It's well known that thermodynamics receives kick-backs from BIG oil.

17. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Water is a stable molecule.

The only way you're going to power a car with water is if you split the hydrogen in it and contain the resulting... combustion.

18. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Fantastic idea! Let's replace a finite resource we are steadily running out of with another finite resource that we are steadily running out of!

RETARDED.

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It is a load of crap. It is impossible to do what he claims. It takes more enegy to make the water into a fuel then they will ever get out of it. Laws of chemistry and thermodynamics tell us that much.

On top of that this story was run on Fox 26 in Houston. That station has run so many BS stories like this and is known for it. Fox is bad enough on the news but the Houston one is just plain poor. I seen to many stories on Fox 26 in Houston that just knowing some basic sciences tells me they are a load of horse crap.

20. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Understand that the "energy interests" and car manufactures are two very different entities. There's no reason why car manufactures would care what powers my car, be it gasoline, E85, electricity, Big Macs, etc; they're interested in one thing: selling cars. A water powered car would be like the Holy Grail for car manufacturers, and for some reason they choose to ignore the guy in his garage making exceptional claims.

You need to be very suspicious of fringe groups claiming miracles. As Carl Sagan said, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence," of which they don't have any.

21. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Watch the movie that CB and I recommended and see if you come to the same conclusion. I think the evidence presented in the movie speaks for itself and has convinced me that the automobile manufacturers, despite the fact that those who drove the EV-1 loved them, desperately wanted to kill this car and did so at the earliest opportunity.

22. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

You didn't hear it from me, but reliable sources tell me thermodynamics was partly involved in Meyer's death. Keep it under your hat.

23. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well put. As several of us have point out. It is IMPOSSIBLE to do what this guy claims. It would mean we would create energy out of thin air.

Here is a fact. We can not create energy. We can change its form. Most common is pottentional energy in oil and other fossil fuels and turning them into heat energy then using that for everything else.

24. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Regardless of how convincing a film may be, that's no means by which to evaluate it's validity.

25. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Chemical potential to kinetic. Heat is the wasted energy.