Using Wifi at home instead of 3g to possibly save battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by AdamCohen13, Jan 9, 2012.

1. AdamCohen13 macrumors member

Hello all,

I recently saw an article somewhere that said that using 3g actually drains more battery than using wifi does when you are in range of your wireless router. With this being said, if I have a verizon iphone 4, and I run wifi at home, which is where I use my phone 80% of the time, does it make sense that I would be saving battery life in a way instead of losing more, even thought I am turning on the additional wifi chip?

Thanks.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

In the event that you have a poor 3G connection, the WiFi chip will actually use less power to keep an internet connection.

3. AdamCohen13 thread starter macrumors member

I think it said that even with a strong 3g connection it saves battery, is this true?

4. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

Yes. If you have Wi-Fi at home, you should be using that rather than 3G; When you enable Wi-Fi on your iPhone, it will default to a known Wi-Fi network if it finds one because in most cases your Wi-Fi connection will be more stable, quicker, and draw on the battery less.

If there is no Wi-Fi, the iPhone will then try 3G, then EDGE, etc.

RTP.