USMCA v NAFTA

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Oct 1, 2018.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

So - from what I can tell - other than slightly helping out dairy farmers - Trump didn't kill NAFTA - just changed the letters and calls it a victory. Am I missing something?

2. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

You're not missing anything. It's just a slightly revised version of what Trump repeatedly called the "worst trade deal in the history of trade deals."

3. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I'm going to wait for the Prime Minister and the Trade minister to speak at noon today about the deal... let's face it all I'd get from Trump is something like "greatest deal evar!!"

The dairy issue is a pretty big deal. The dairy farmers association has strict testing for the milk that's taken to market... any violation by a farmer that contaminates (by the associations/government standards) the milk and the farmer is forced to pay for what's in the tank. I'm sure there's going to be arguments that this will lead to importation of sub-standard products.

4. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

The Dairy Farmer Association, Canadian, US based or both? I assume you are talking about importing milk into Canada?

5. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

Trump, no matter what the outcome was, will make it about himself.

Beyond Trump, this agreement will have the immediate benefit of lifting uncertainty. It is perfect? Of course not - but all countries had to compromise.

6. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I was specifically talking about the Canadian Dairy Association, and it's current enforcement policies (brutal eh?). Right now it's unclear if the same standards will apply to the importation though I've heard that GMO-milk is excluded from the deal. I have a friend who works on testing system (the data management not the 'lab science' bit) he told me about the the potential penalties:

7. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

Cuz it's got US in it!

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Without looking into the details on this. It looks largely like the agreements we were already seeking under the Obama administration, and the environmental and wage benefits are what we would have gotten under TPP.

The change to diary products isn't that important really. I really want to see what the change in wages for Mexican workers means. Northern Mexico already has a burgeoning middle-class, and to see a tripling of wages for some workers will be really interesting.

9. cube, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018

cube macrumors P6

Nafta means petrol.

Musca is a fly.

Cusma is a name.

UMCA would be singable, but is is already taken.

USMCA, USCMA, CMUA, CMUSA, CUMA and MUCA are already taken.

10. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

LOL, the agreement is made, Dow jumps over 200 points and the liberals decry this is just a rehash of what Obama was trying to do. lol...

11. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Remember, anything Trump does is bad. If it sounds good, then it is a lie. When the fruits are shown, thank Obama for doing it. Resume burying head in sand.

12. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Only the Cons forget the massive drops caused by Trump. Did you also forget?

13. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I’m sorry, but pointing to the stock market response to something that has been announced is just laying out that the numbers are meaningless. A market afloat on a bubble driven almost exclusively by stock buybacks is one that’s going to crash, soon.

14. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I pray you don't work in finance.

15. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

It looks like they didn't do too much in the "great deal". It's maintains most of NAFTA and just tinkered with it. The idiocy of setting a continental minimum wage on car manufacturing is a pretty stupid move, but par for the course with Trump. He's bound and determined to drive jobs away from not only the US, but now Canada and Mexico. This deal has the potential to make to more profitable to build cars overseas and ship them back to the states to sell, (even with a tariff applied). This deal is really nothing but NAFTA 1.1. Just Trump blowing more smoke.

https://reason.com/blog/2018/10/01/nafta-rewrite-could-warp-automakers-supp

16. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

#45 promises HUUUUUGE changes.
    In the end it is relatively modest, and mainly updates to changing times.

Proves that #45 does not know a thing about Geo-politcal negations, because he actually let experts in field do the real work and produce a decent outcome (from a potential disaster).

More than just a name change, feels like a major re-tweak with a couple significant changes.

17. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Auto provisions aren't small and if the whole deal is relatively modest then why didn't Obamafail do it?

18. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Heeeey, long time!
    WB.

To your post,
    I can barely imagine the Republican firestorm if Obama tried doing this.

Only reason the Party Republicans are not doing same with #45 is because he is "Republican".

19. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

20. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

It's how lame brain Trump thinks:
    US > Mexico > CA.

21. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

No reason for the name change, other than trump wanted it.

22. cube macrumors P6

It is wrong, it follows a US-only convention, like the USMC.

Putting USA first would work if it only used the U.

23. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

That’s because Trump magnifies everything he sells and covers up everything that might catch a body part in the ringer.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 2, 2018 ---
    Influence citizens into hopefully becoming Trumpets.

24. Stella macrumors G3

Stella