Utah judge takes baby away from lesbian foster parents

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Nov 12, 2015.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Judicial activism? Where is this study the judge cites?

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-utah-judge-lesbians-baby-20151111-story.html

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

From your quoted article ...
    If that is true, then that ruling will get overturned.

It may take a while, and a few steps up the judicial ladder, but that will not stand.

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Those two statements seem contradictory. Is the state forcibly taking away the biological mother's child or is she giving it up for adoption?

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Couldn't both be true?

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Not really. If the state decides she is an unfit parent and forcibly removes the child, I don't see how she can then decide who gets the kid.

6. samiwas macrumors 65816

I really hope this ruling does not stand, and that if the judge is found to have ruled against the law, that he is dealt with. But, this is Utah...

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

She's giving the child to foster parents. Foster parents are state-approved entities. So it makes sense to me that while the state is seeking to remove the child from an unfit environment, a state-approved entity is working to take that child in.

8. FieldingMellish Suspended

"Sumner said she can't speak to specifics of the case but confirmed that the couple's account of the ruling is accurate: The judge's decision was based on the couple being lesbians. The agency isn't aware of any other issues with their performance as foster parents."

Did Sumner get the Judge's side of the story?

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

It is Utah, indeed. They removed the child from an abnormal family with two mommies and placed her in a normal family with a dad and six moms.

10. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

The court records are sealed and the court cannot discuss the case. The only bit of info we have about it is the statement "They said (judge) Johansen cited research that children do better when they are raised by heterosexual couples."

There are such studies, just as there are studies saying children do fine raised with homosexual couples. I guess it depends on which study you want to believe. The judge ultimately must decide what's in the best interest of the child, and he apparently concluded being raised by a traditional heterosexual couple would be best here.

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Perhaps there's research that indicates two opposite-sex parents are better than two same-sex parents (I don't know; I haven't seen any, just going by what this judge has said), but my guess is that two same-sex parents are better than one, or none at all. No research, mind you, just a hunch.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

well, would you not say that six moms are better than 2 ?

6 females going through bonkers once a month, who the hell wants that?

13. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

the ruling, which calls for the baby girl they have been raising for three months to be taken away within a week.

You can't make this .hit up. Judge should be castrated. 1 week to go into hiding and file a counter suite.

14. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

My wife is bonkers all the time (my daughter too) not just once a month, so if yours is only during that time count yourself as lucky ;)

===

On topic, dumb judge being dumb it'll be overturned but it's nice to know Utah is willing to pull kids from stable homes just 'cause.

15. sualpine macrumors 6502

sualpine

16. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

There you go thinking again

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Generally speaking, an activist judge is usually someone who interprets the law in a way someone else doesn't like.

18. Meister Suspended

Meister

I think in Utah they have to sleep on the porch if they have bonkers-time.

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Having anyone that cares about a kid is better than having no one. If there were more people looking to adopt kids than there were kids available for adoption then it might be worth trying to get them in families that have both a mother and a father rather than with single parents or gay couples, but I don't think that is likely to happen anytime in the near future.

20. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

"To the birthing shed with you!"

21. Meister Suspended

Meister

I completely agree!
    Better gay parents than no parents at all!

22. FieldingMellish Suspended

You know, they say that the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.

Oh my - is this another long-standing phrase that is going to get the heave-ho? Along with phrases such as Try Harder and Melting Pot?

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you can't turn someone gay and homosexuality is not contagious, no matter what Ted Haggard or Larry Craig claim.

24. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Leta hope the chunk ripped out of his rear does not grow back. This makes the mormon church look even worse